Watery/bubbly eye in rooster

Maggshot

Hatching
Mar 19, 2024
Hey I’m wondering is anyone is familiar with what this could be, I noticed this a few days ago in 1 eye and he shows no symptoms like sneezing, coughing, gurgling, foul breath nor lethargic but I still moved him and the hen I had him with from my other chicken pens, the watery/bubbly eye comes and goes 2-3x a day and he eats just fine and drinks water like normal as does the hen, the hen still hasn’t shown any watery/bubbly eyes or no symptoms at all just to make it clearer that it’s only the rooster, also the weather changed from 80-90 degrees one week then it drops to 40-50 degrees for 2 weeks straight so I’m wondering if that could another reason so if anyone could help me out I’d appreciate it
52FCE95D-7265-48A4-8529-1087F7843918.jpeg

Also I’ve wondered if maybe that scab under his eye was from a scratch or something and possibly caused it

Not sure but his breathing has been good the last 7 days since I noticed this issue, he still crows perfectly fine no raspiness or nothing like that and still is active as he normally has been
39AF6EAD-DCFF-4DEF-B4ED-BC0FE792F1BF.jpeg
This is the other side of his face as you can see no watery/bubbly eye or swelling either, he breathes from his nostrils like a healthy chicken would so I doubt it’s respiratory but I’m not educated enough to know, he still eats and drinks and breeds with the hen every single day no abnormal behavior

Do you have mosquitoes out now? Is it still cold? Has he been out where he could have been pecked? Fowl pox is a possibility, and the eye bubbles might be from a secondary infection of MG. I have seen MG with only facial/eyelid swelling or bubbles in an eye. I would get some Tylosin for pigeons online, and treat 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Also clean the eye with saline or eye wash. Terramycin or plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be put into the eyes twice a day.

it’s still in the 40-50 degree range with hard winds, I have seen mosquitoes when it was hotter a few days ago… also if it were MG wouldn’t both eyes water/bubble up and not just one? The hen he’s been with for the last 3 months has never shown any symptoms even till now she seems healthy with no issue to the eyes and lays eggs almost every day, the only treatment I’ve been doing for the last 2 days is vetRx all on his face and beak and lemon drops to the affected eye to dry out any possible infection, a day prior to the issue he did get into a fight with another loose rooster that came up to his pen and he might’ve been pecked under the eyelid where you see that scab I mentioned possibly.

Lemon drops to the eye? I would be very against doing that. Saline is 2 tsp of salt boiled in 1 quart/liter of water to sterilize. That is best, or you can buy a commercial eye wash. You can use a warm wet washcloth held on the eye for a few minutes to soften and remove any crusted drainage.

Yes, only one eye is the most common way that MG affects chickens. It can spread to both if not treated. But if he was pecked, that could also cause swelling and bubbles. I doubt if pox is the cause if it is that cool. Many in Texas and FLorida deal with pox year round.

I have no clue what it is either, however wanted to drop by to say I have a hen who has been like that since maybe day 3 of her life. She is now over a year old and has never had an issue. My other hens have never had an issue so I’ve just stopped worrying about it.
BUT, I am definitely no expert and have no advice to share. Hopefully everything is fine!

Lemon drops to the eye? I would be very against doing that. Saline is 2 tsp of salt boiled in 1 quart/liter of water to sterilize. That is best, or you can buy a commercial eye wash. You can use a warm wet washcloth held on the eye for a few minutes to soften and remove any crusted drainage.

Yes, only one eye is the most common way that MG affects chickens. It can spread to both if not treated. But if he was pecked, that could also cause swelling and bubbles. I doubt if pox is the cause if it is that cool. Many in Texas and FLorida deal with pox year round

Back
Top Bottom