Chick With Eye Injury, Watery, Red

BYChaymarket

Chirping
May 11, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Just noticed one of my 5 week old chicks (cross silkie frizzle with mille fleur) has an eye injury. Appears watery and injured around the eye. Possibly pecked or is it some other sickness?

This chick is one of 6 that were hatched by their mom, and we’re kept separate from the other hens with their mom.Since letting the flock blend a few weeks ago, I have not noticed any bullying or pecking of the chicks.

Upon searching, it appears I should rinse it out with saline or lubricating eye drops, and then apply neosprin around the edge of the eye.

Do I need also to separate this chick? I havnt seen her getting targeted for bullying and would prefer not to separate if unnecessary.

Thank you for any help you may provide! Additional details below.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Silkie frizzle, Mille fleur, 5 weeks old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal behavior, but can’t see out of one eye.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Unknown but likely recent

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Watery eye, injury around eye.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chick feed, hens eat oyster shells on side. All free feed.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. unknown

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Only considering treatment done by myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 3x4 coop and 3x12 run; 4 hens, 2 bantam hens, 1 bantam rooster, 2 chicks (1 is injured).

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    375.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3731.jpeg
    IMG_3731.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Upon searching, it appears I should rinse it out with saline or lubricating eye drops, and then apply neosprin around the edge of the eye.

Do I need also to separate this chick? I havnt seen her getting targeted for bullying and would prefer not to separate if unnecessary.
You're on the right track, this is what I'd do.
Rinse with saline, remove any debris/gunk from the eyes and feathers. Terramycin eye ointment or Original Neosporin IN the eye (and around the eye if you are seeing scabs).

I wouldn't separate unless being bullied, do watch that the chick is eating/drinking really well.

You're on the right track, this is what I'd do.
Rinse with saline, remove any debris/gunk from the eyes and feathers. Terramycin eye ointment or Original Neosporin IN the eye (and around the eye if you are seeing scabs).

I wouldn't separate unless being bullied, do watch that the chick is eating/drinking really well.
Thank you! I mistakenly used neosporin with pain reliever around the outside of they eye, but will look for Terramycin or use original neosporin tomorrow.

Thank you! I mistakenly used neosporin with pain reliever around the outside of they eye, but will look for Terramycin or use original neosporin tomorrow.
I wouldn't worry about using it the one time around the eye.
Sometimes supplies can be hard to find, so generic triple antibiotic ointment is fine to use, just get one without pain reliever to go in the eye. (I buy generic and have used in eyes and it worked just fine).

Back
Top Bottom