(Pics) Rooster Voice Issues / Respiratory Infection? Fungal?

CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
Technically a cockerel, he's almost a year...

We had a nasty, cold rain about four or five days ago. Since then, my boy Yorvir has a deeper, shorter crow that always ends in a cough/headshake/sneeze. His eyes are clear, without bubbles of any kind, no snot I can see either. Very occasionally, he makes a loud BOCK noise paired with a headshake. I think he's holding his mouth open a crack, too. I'm going to force husband to hold him while I smell Yorvir's breath and look inside for canker, but is it possible he just has a less aggressive cold that will pass, or is this in need of medicinal intervention based on symptoms?

He's active (just as much as always), eating well with no issues, mating hens, trying to fence fight my other boys. No one else is showing any symptoms but given his altered crow is my main clue, I don't know how easily I could tell if my hens are also impacted. No one else is sneezing, bocking, or coughing that I can hear.

Stand by for pictures; will get as soon as able.

Breath is not stinky. Here's eyes, mouth, and comb as best we could photograph them:

1000002288.jpg

1000002289.jpg

1000002291.jpg

1000002290.jpg

1000002287.jpg

I don't like the look of the yellow. Canker? They did eat some boiled egg today but I doubt I'd see similar in the hens' mouths. Last time I checked a chicken mouth it was just beak colored regardless of recent food intake. Can check more beaks of course...

Or wet fowl pox.
He fence fights, which explains a little of the front damage perhaps, but the rest does look off. I don't understand the back of comb/side whiteness and lesions. You may be right. Would that cause the yellow within the mouth as well?

Wet fowl pox causes yellow lesions in the mouth.
Thank you so much. That explains the lack of odor so far, I guess. Not sure if that's better or worse than canker in terms of prognosis. With wet fowl pox, it seems there's nothing to be done but wait and isolate.

He's active and happy for now. I'll look into a look but no touch setup to hopefully limit chances of spread, and carefully examine some of the rest of the flock. Will update as this progresses.

Thank you so much. That explains the lack of odor so far, I guess. Not sure if that's better or worse than canker in terms of prognosis. With wet fowl pox, it seems there's nothing to be done but wait and isolate.

He's active and happy for now. I'll look into a look but no touch setup to hopefully limit chances of spread, and carefully examine some of the rest of the flock. Will update as this progresses.
Yeah it has to run its course. Just keep an eye out for obstructed breathing.

Back
Top Bottom