My rooster might have respiratory fungal infection

thunder21

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2022
He just finished the 5-day treatment of two medication for coryza. His labored breathing and rales lessened and most of his droppings are solid. However, I noticed that his sneeze and cough are more frequent. He was also mouth breathing silently (no wheezing). Once in a while, he gurgles when he crows. There's still also rattling noise every time when he is alert, chest puff up and his face is bright red. I started giving him water today with apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and other herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme (with fresh water aside). Hoping that this helps to alleviate his condition and to boost his immune system.

And then I stumbled on this thread, and it is possible that he has respiratory fungal infection. His coop are made of wood and I mostly clean it with bleach which will only help spread whatever fungus in the wood. Some part of his coop is wet or moist since our weather is sunny (which up to 35°C) and brief heavy rainy everyday. His coop is well-ventilated and I also clean it thoroughly but using bleach.

Right now, I'm looking for the alternative of Oxide AH since it's not available on my country.

What do you think of my observation? I absolutely appreciate all of your input.

Does he have any lesions inside his beak?
Is his crop emptying overnight?

Look to see if you can get Virkon that may be something you can use to disinfect with, but if your coop/housing is getting moldy you may need to move it where it gets more sunlight.

His beak and comb is clear. They look healthy. I have also observed his crop, and it's always empty every morning. No smell from his mouth as well. But there's a smell coming from his nose which I believe comes from the sebum underneath his comb near his nose. I can only smell it when I put my nose near to it (I have already cleaned btw).

Virkon is expensive here. But I found a cheaper alternative, do you think this will do? If I can also mix this water to mist my roo?

Attachments

• 1687270410080.png
    1687270410080.png
    372.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1687270454515.png
    1687270454515.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
I don't know if that can be used to mist him or not. You'll have to research it more and compare it to the Oxine Ah.
It certainly could be used to clean the housing if there's mold/mildew.

I think that one is too strong since its only ingredient is Chloride Dioxide. I’ll research more about this. Thank you for your help 🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom