Confused what type of respiratory illness my rooster has

thunder21

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2022
I kept on reading about respiratory illness what's the symptoms and the treatment. But the more I read about them, the more I get confuse. I don't know which one is the proper and effective treatment I'll give to my rooster. As of now, I'm giving coryza treatment by giving medicated water.

Symptoms:
Breathing heavily (from time to time but most of the time at night [I check him every night], Sneezing, Rattling Noise (It's like he has phlegm), Has foul smell in the face (but not too bad tho).

I live in a tropical country and the summer just ended. Recently, there was typhoon hit near in my area and that's when I notice the symptoms. His face looks fine and has no nasal/eye liquid discharge. The rattling noise got worse last night and got me really worried.

It's midnight in my place and upon checking him, he wakes up from time to time and breathe heavily. He quickly stops every time I visit then continue to breathe with his mouth open and then go back to sleep.

For additional information, he has bumblefoot and we continually treat it with antibacterial ointment.

Please advise. Thank you for all of your help.

What medication are you giving him?
It's called Ambroxitil, it has Amoxicillin, Tylosin, Bromhexine. Most of the medication comes in sachet since they are local brands. Unfortunately, we have no Tylan 50 in my country.

Thank you! I have already ordered sulfa online but it may take 3 days to deliver. I appreciate all your help. I hope he’ll be better in 5 days.

UPDATE

It's 3rd day of the treatment and just received sulfa drug and immediately added to his medication. My rooster sleeping soundly after putting him to his coop (indoor). I checked him every minute and did not find him mouth breathing and no rales. And then at 3 AM, I found him mouth breathing. I smelled his face and there's no longer foul smell. It seems that two medications are working. I'll try to give him electrolyte tomorrow since his poop are watery since yesterday.

UPDATE

5-day treatment of two medication is completed. His labored breathing and rales lessened and most of his droppings are solid. However, I noticed that he sneezes and coughs a lot. He also mouth breathing silently (no wheezing). Once in a while, he gurgles when he crows. There's still also rattling noise every time when he is alert, chest puff up and his face is bright red.

I'm suspecting for other illness like aspergillosis or bronchitis. But I'm still not sure. But for now, just gave him water today with apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and other herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme (with fresh water aside). Hoping that this helps to alleviate his condition and to boost his immune system.

Questions:
Is it okay to give him water with acv everyday?
Does VetRX will help him breathe better?
Do you think I should try to deworm him?
Is it also safe to give anti-fungal medicine even though he's not yet tested?

I have tried to contact my local vet and none of them specializes chicken.

UPDATE

5-day treatment of two medication is completed. His labored breathing and rales lessened and most of his droppings are solid. However, I noticed that he sneezes and coughs a lot. He also mouth breathing silently (no wheezing). Once in a while, he gurgles when he crows. There's still also rattling noise every time when he is alert, chest puff up and his face is bright red.

I'm suspecting for other illness like aspergillosis or bronchitis. But I'm still not sure. But for now, just gave him water today with apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and other herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme (with fresh water aside). Hoping that this helps to alleviate his condition and to boost his immune system.

Questions:
Is it okay to give him water with acv everyday?
Does VetRX will help him breathe better?
Do you think I should try to deworm him?
Is it also safe to give anti-fungal medicine even though he's not yet tested?

I have tried to contact my local vet and none of them specializes chicken.
Hello. This sounds like my rooster. I wish you had a response to your last post. It’s been over a month now, how is he doing? What all did you try and what worked, if anything?

Back
Top Bottom