Respiratory infection or new bedding?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
My chickens have been constantly sneezing, I am not sure if it is a respiratory infection or because I just changed to coco chips for their run. They have been sneezing for over a week now, the issue is that I just introduced a new rooster to my flock which might have given a virus to everyone.

symptoms:
- A lot of mucous in beak
- Sneezing
- Laboured crowing (in the roo)

They seem to be acting fine otherwise. I have two separate flocks and would not like to infect my show chickens. I have given them antibiotics for around 4 days now and they do not seem to have improved whatsoever. Am I able to keep the flock if they are infected though? unfortunately some of these chickens are pretty rare and I wouldn't be able to find them easily here.

I am also wondering if there are any chicken respiratory diseases that can be transferred to parrots as I do own some.

There's only one way to find out if the coco chips are the source of the sneezing, get rid of them. OR, remove your birds away from the run for several days and the symptoms should be subside or disappear completely.
The only respiratory disease that can infect chickens that quickly is Infectious Bronchitis (IB), a virus. Antibiotics are ineffective treating IB and it can easily be passed to other birds.
One telltale sign that it's IB is that hens will lay wrinkled eggs.
Another possibility is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), a contagious bacterial disease that is very common. However, antibiotics in general will treat the disease but will not cure the disease. Surviving birds remain carriers for life. It's possible for birds to have multiple respiratory diseases at the same time.
It would be best to get the new rooster tested via bloodwork or necropsy to find out exactly what disease that you're dealing with. You will have to maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be sold or given away. Do not sell or give away eggs to be hatched. MG can be passed through eggs.
I'm sorry you're going through this and I wish you the best. If you decide to get bloodwork or necropsy done on the rooster, let us know the results.

Antibiotics don’t help if there’s a virus present.

Did you notice the sneezing before the coco chips or after? How long between new bedding and adding the rooster?

There's only one way to find out if the coco chips are the source of the sneezing, get rid of them. OR, remove your birds away from the run for several days and the symptoms should be subside or disappear completely.
The only respiratory disease that can infect chickens that quickly is Infectious Bronchitis (IB), a virus. Antibiotics are ineffective treating IB and it can easily be passed to other birds.
One telltale sign that it's IB is that hens will lay wrinkled eggs.
Another possibility is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), a contagious bacterial disease that is very common. However, antibiotics in general will treat the disease but will not cure the disease. Surviving birds remain carriers for life. It's possible for birds to have multiple respiratory diseases at the same time.
It would be best to get the new rooster tested via bloodwork or necropsy to find out exactly what disease that you're dealing with. You will have to maintain a closed flock. No new birds in, no birds out to be sold or given away. Do not sell or give away eggs to be hatched. MG can be passed through eggs.
I'm sorry you're going through this and I wish you the best. If you decide to get bloodwork or necropsy done on the rooster, let us know the results.
thank you for the information. I think I will do bloodwork on two of the ones with symptoms. This really sucks as I am the only person providing some of these breeds in my city. The ones with symptooms right now is the roo and some pullets, the laying hens are not showing any symptoms just yet so I havent seen any problems with the eggs.
Antibiotics don’t help if there’s a virus present.

Did you notice the sneezing before the coco chips or after? How long between new bedding and adding the rooster?
After the chips. this bag was for plants and are much cheaper than the ones I usually get. had the rooster for a week before adding the new chips. The rooster was fully okay in quarantine so it caught me by surprise, i guess the stress of a new flock might have gotten to him.

Back
Top Bottom