6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

Quick question, Since I lost all my broody duck eggs for this hatch along, I got myself an incubator and am getting ready to set chicken eggs tomorrow for the first time. Do the eggs go in the turner sideways or pointy end down, or what? I got most everything else figured out from reading this thread, so thanks y'all!

I think everything has hatched, except the (8) blue copper marans!
barnie.gif
ARGgggg! The birchens and black copper hatched yesterday. Just candled them and there is a strong heart beat in there, so I guess I need to be patient...It is all I can do not to go to the closest TJ's. I think I have a new obsession.
At sometime my humidity must have dropped and one partially zip. I tried to help it out, but instead now know what 'shrink wrapping' looks like. Not a pretty site. I felt so bad for it.
I've got 12 cuties out so far and one death by shrink wrap. The 2 white ones are white marans X EE.

Right-o. They were air cell up in the carton and NO red expiry date stamped on the egg. Also nice thick white chalky shells.

Really? Were folks complaining to them about low hatch rates? Every TJ person I've talked to just looks at me like I'm from Mars when I mention hatching them.
I've not been to TJ's to get them yet (tomorrow maybe), but are the ones you guys are hatching date stamped or not stamped? I want to make sure to get the right ones if I make that trip.

Look for the green and white carton with red printing. It says "Fertile" in big letters, price is about $2.99. Some packers stamp an expiration date (or "Enjoy by") right on the egg. I've had horrid results with those for some reason. Best to get the naked eggs.

Do you know how to read the Julian dates? It's the 3-digit code usually right before the expiration date. It corresponds to the date the egg was packed on, not the expiration. Julian calendar designates day by total number, so today would be 002 (second day of the year). December 31st would be 365. The goal is to try to have the current date and the packing date be as close together as possible. (Sometimes if you ask a clerk if they have anything fresher in the back you'll hit the jackpot, but you have to be *really* nice about it because they want to move the old merchandise first)

Hatching store eggs is a challenge, but fun... And you cannot beat the price unless you get free eggs.

Good luck!

I have a pip in the BLRW eBay egg!   Solo will have a friend!   :celebrate

This egg has a horrid saddle air cell.  The pip is right at nearly the very top of the egg.

Still waiting (and waiting and waiting) on the marans egg(s).   Would like to get at least one.

But I have a pip!    This hatching will be of great comfort to all of us in the household as Solo has quite a set of lungs.

Maybe you can name it Han...

(As in Han Solo if no one else likes Star Wars )

Right-o. They were air cell up in the carton and NO red expiry date stamped on the egg. Also nice thick white chalky shells.

Really? Were folks complaining to them about low hatch rates? Every TJ person I've talked to just looks at me like I'm from Mars when I mention hatching them.

Two years ago the eggs were date stamped on the eggs pointy end up. Back then, people were getting only 1 or two fertile eggs per carton. They are advertized as being fertile eggs so if they are not fertile then it is false advertising. It seems like someone that knows about fertility must be working with Trader Joes.

Look for the green and white carton with red printing. It says "Fertile" in big letters, price is about $2.99. Some packers stamp an expiration date (or "Enjoy by") right on the egg. I've had horrid results with those for some reason. Best to get the naked eggs.

Do you know how to read the Julian dates? It's the 3-digit code usually right before the expiration date. It corresponds to the date the egg was packed on, not the expiration. Julian calendar designates day by total number, so today would be 002 (second day of the year). December 31st would be 365. The goal is to try to have the current date and the packing date be as close together as possible. (Sometimes if you ask a clerk if they have anything fresher in the back you'll hit the jackpot, but you have to be *really* nice about it because they want to move the old merchandise first)

Hatching store eggs is a challenge, but fun... And you cannot beat the price unless you get free eggs.

Good luck!
Yes, all very true!

The pedialyte seemed to perk her up a bit. And I realized she has a problem with her left leg. It's not stiff, but she doesn't seem to have much control of it and it sticks straight back like in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom