6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

I finally got to see my peeps! We have been gone since Jan 1, and our roommate had to chick/egg sit.
The Araucana in front here and some Silkies

The Isabelle Marans

However, just discovered that two of them have curled toes! I'll have to figure out how to make a chick boot!

I finally got to see my peeps! We have been gone since Jan 1, and our roommate had to chick/egg sit.
The Araucana in front here and some Silkies

The Isabelle Marans

However, just discovered that two of them have curled toes! I'll have to figure out how to make a chick boot!

What a nice surprise to come home to. Boots for crooked toes work very nicely. Congratulations on your cuties.

What a nice surprise to come home to.   Boots for crooked toes work very nicely.   Congratulations on your cuties. 

Can you apply 'boots' after a week? Or is it too late by then?
I only just got a chance to closely inspect all of my chicks and noticed one has a couple crooked curly toes.

I've had a few chicks hatch with one 'problem' or another that suggest too low a humidity, so I suspect the dry incubation method really doesn't work for me and my area.
One got stuck to his shell' one has scissor beak, one has crooked toe and then there was the one that hatched with his yolk sac wrapped around his foot and now has a crooked leg (even after a week or having it's legs taped together, I had to retape them after trying it with tape off.)

Last edited:
I only just got a chance to closely inspect all of my chicks and noticed one has a couple crooked curly toes.

I've had a few chicks hatch with one 'problem' or another that suggest too low a humidity, so I suspect the dry incubation method really doesn't work for me and my area.
One got stuck to his shell' one has scissor beak, one has crooked toe and then there was the one that hatched with his yolk sac wrapped around his foot and now has a crooked leg (even after a week or having it's legs taped together, I had to retape them after trying it with tape off.)

I thought that the crooked toes happened because if too many temperature spikes.
Guess I was wrong. So it's because if too low humidity?

So i opened the 5 remaiing eggs last night and they were all dead. Two wet chicks and two shrinkwrapped...one had internally pipped but died because they couldnt get out of the shell. Basically if i had assisted sooner instead of trying to be good and waiting i would have 5 chicks, now i just have 1. The other egg died before it went in lockdown.

i would assume it was opening the door to assist the first egg, to fill water containers, and to adjust the temp. So we are going to put in tubing for all the water pans, and mount the thermostat in a hole on the side of the bator so it does not need to be opened.

So 1 chick out of 11 eggs.

Still have 7 of 12 muscovy eggs going into lockdown the 15th. Their aircells seem big but i think that is because i am more used to chicken aircells.

Oh i borrowed someone elses name and named my single chick 'Solo'

Also have 4 frizzle eggs going into lockdown on thursday and now i am going to be extra nervous about them.

I thought that the crooked toes happened because if too many temperature spikes.
Guess I was wrong. So it's because if too low humidity?

Could be from temperature spikes, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have temp spikes this hatch. I had lower humidity drops during my dry incubation and the other issues I had are common with low humidity I believe.

I say it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and try the boot. Just leave it on for a couple of days. Not much can be done for a crooked beak. :/ The leg is questionable. You can try doing what you do for splayed let, putting them together to get the one straight. A week old..never know. Good luck!

So i opened the 5 remaiing eggs last night and they were all dead. Two wet chicks and two shrinkwrapped...one had internally pipped but died because they couldnt get out of the shell. Basically if i had assisted sooner instead of trying to be good and waiting i would have 5 chicks, now i just have 1. The other egg died before it went in lockdown.

i would assume it was opening the door to assist the first egg, to fill water containers, and to adjust the temp. So we are going to put in tubing for all the water pans, and mount the thermostat in a hole on the side of the bator so it does not need to be opened.

So 1 chick out of 11 eggs.

Still have 7 of 12 muscovy eggs going into lockdown the 15th. Their aircells seem big but i think that is because i am more used to chicken aircells.

I have read mixed things on this... If you think about it, a broody hen DOES have to get off the nest to relieve herself and eat and drink. This hatch, I tried to recreate as "natural" an environment as possible. Every evening, I would lift the lid on my bator (waits for the collective *gasp*) and gently blow all the hot air and humidity straight out. I'd refill the water tray and pop the lid back on making sure to realign the auto-turner.

(A side note: We live in coastal-ish Texas AND it rained all weekend, so maybe our external/environmental humidity had an effect?)

When the peeps started hatching, I'd wait until they were dry, pop the lid, scoop them out, mist the other eggs with a little water, and place the lid back down again.

I had eight out of nine hatch with the eighth needing assistance... his leg was wrapped up and OVER his head, so he couldn't wriggle around in the shell to zip. We popped him out, and once he got his little crooked leg under him and regained his strength, it straightened out on its own. :) The ninth, silent egg quit around lockdown.

Just my $5.86.

I am very sorry about your hatch. At least you have one baby that needs your loving attention. <3

MrsB

Last edited:
I have read mixed things on this... If you think about it, a broody hen DOES have to get off the nest to relieve herself and eat and drink. This hatch, I tried to recreate as "natural" an environment as possible. Every evening, I would lift the lid on my bator (waits for the collective *gasp*) and gently blow all the hot air and humidity straight out. I'd refill the water tray and pop the lid back on making sure to realign the auto-turner.

(A side note: We live in coastal-ish Texas AND it rained all weekend, so maybe our external/environmental humidity had an effect?)

When the peeps started hatching, I'd wait until they were dry, pop the lid, scoop them out, mist the other eggs with a little water, and place the lid back down again.

I had eight out of nine hatch with the eighth needing assistance... his leg was wrapped up and OVER his head, so he couldn't wriggle around in the shell to zip. We popped him out, and once he got his little crooked leg under him and regained his strength, it straightened out on its own. :) The ninth, silent egg quit around lockdown.

Just my $5.86.

I am very sorry about your hatch. At least you have one baby that needs your loving attention. <3

MrsB
Yes! That was both misting and cooling down.

Some sources say to let the eggs dry off before closing the incubator--Supposed to help with bacteria forming. The broody often gets up for two hours hence the two hour cool down cycle.

Back
Top Bottom