6xL3Wx6H narrow coop set-up ideas

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
I am trying to add another coop in a narrow area. The area is set up as 6Lx3Wx6H.

I can go up higher for more vertical space so I was thinking of making two sections up higher. A 2ft high roost up top, and another 2ft underneath for the eggs for nesting boxes. The bottom 2 feet for a run area that goes out to a larger run when I open it. It would all go around the coop house with a door on the 6ft length side so I can go in and out and have the roost and boxes all around me in a U shape.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Maybe pictures if you have a similar narrow but higher-up setup.

The height really doesn't factor in when you are looking at square footage for animals. Chickens spend most of their time on their feet. A 2x2 foot coop is only good one one bird even if it's 30 feet tall.

IMHO I would never put my nest boxes under the roosts if that is what you are suggesting.

The height really doesn't factor in when you are looking at square footage for animals. Chickens spend most of their time on their feet. A 2x2 foot coop is only good one one bird even if it's 30 feet tall.

IMHO I would never put my nest boxes under the roosts if that is what you are suggesting.
Let me clarify.

I have read that when you use more upright real estate, you do get more sq. footage which is why I am going this route.

The roost would be above, but nesting boxes that are below would be covered by a panel or board to prevent dropping from falling down on them.

It isn't a 2x2 coop. The H is 6ft, but the roost area would be 2ft and the nesting boxes would be 2ft and the other 2ft would be to the ground.

The area of the roost and boxes would each be about 18 to 24ft each, which would give space for about up to 6 birds maybe.

Last edited:
Height has nothing to do with sqf of floor space. As aart mentioned, chickens need room to pitch off of higher roosts. Foot injury is going to occur if they have to jump down or land hard.
It would be something like this or just slightly smaller.
https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-stand-up-chicken-coop

I just need the design for them given that smaller space, and I would be putting a staircase going up to the two levels (roost and boxes) so they don't need to fly too much or fly down too far.

four with the one leading into the run having the chicken ramp and door there. I was thinking (and I'm fine with advice here) of doing the back wall that actually is on a hinge to open to clean it out?

It would be something like this or just slightly smaller.
https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-stand-up-chicken-coop

I just need the design for them given that smaller space, and I would be putting a staircase going up to the two levels (roost and boxes) so they don't need to fly too much or fly down too far.
That's a open air coop. Client of mine had one of those. Very poorly laid out out. Chickens used the corner of the structure to lay eggs.

That's a open air coop. Client of mine had one of those. Very poorly laid out out. Chickens used the corner of the structure to lay eggs.
I have another coop with the same dimensions but just 5ft instead of 6. I was trying to go higher for the limited spaced area. Open air may be okay as it does get hotter here in the SW of the US.

I'll try to see what I can figure out with them and maybe readjust as I go.

Back
Top Bottom