7 1/2 week old Olive Egger - still a girl?

dogdoc

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Here is my 7 1/2 week old possible Olive Egger. I was told that mom is a lavender Ameraucana and dad a Maran (I think a BCM?) - or was it the other way around...

She is at the top of the pecking order. Hoping she's just an assertive hen since I'd rather not deal with trading her back and introducing a substitute.

Thanks for any help! :)

I just knew someone was going to ask for a wattle shot! I tried but just couldn't get an up close non-blurry shot LOL.

There is just the barest hint of wattles starting to grow, but no more than, say, my light brahma or very feminine BO who are the same age. (uh oh I hope my second-in-the-pecking-order Light Brahma isn't also questionable!)

Here's the best shot I have of wattles:

Thank you!!!

I'm sorry, I agree, it is awful red for seven weeks. Could the age be wrong? Don't trade it in yet, wait another week and see.

Thanks for your input everyone! I still keep hoping that Matilda is a pullet since she's good at paying attention to her surroundings and sound the alarm if something happens (cat walks by, etc). Guess I'll hang tight and wait for crowing for now...

At 7 weeks with a comb that red? I'm thinking cockerel. I would keep him! Make some Olive Egger babies
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your input everyone! I still keep hoping that Matilda is a pullet since she's good at paying attention to her surroundings and sound the alarm if something happens (cat walks by, etc). Guess I'll hang tight and wait for crowing for now...
That's the rooster's job.........

I'm going with the majority and saying it's a little cockeral.

Back
Top Bottom