Olive Egger sexing — this a roo?

BurbMum

Chirping
May 21, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
I picked up 4 chicks from Hilltop last week and I ended up with only one Olive Egger instead of two, and now I’m worried ‘she’ is not even going to give me green eggs.

She has a white spot on her head which I’m seeing online indicates a cockerel, because some Olive Eggers combos are sex linked.

From their website:
‘Our Olive Eggers were created by crossing some of our foundation stock of Cream Legbars, Black Copper Marans, Welsummers, and Blue Ameraucanas.’

Based on this info, can I tell if she’s a he?

Shown top in this pic.

Attachments

• FE5AB6EF-ED02-4341-B8A6-3AFF7AF7E88E.jpeg
    FE5AB6EF-ED02-4341-B8A6-3AFF7AF7E88E.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 193
‘She’ also appears to have a single row straight comb and not a pea comb. Also indicative of cockerels in Olive Eggers according to sources online.

Looking for confirmation… anyone?

Attachments

• DDED2347-2A48-4522-A1CE-72F4F3276655.jpeg
    DDED2347-2A48-4522-A1CE-72F4F3276655.jpeg
    896.5 KB · Views: 119
The white spot indicates barring. Of all those breeds, the only chick that is going to be barred naturally is a legbar rooster.

Legbars and wellsummers are autosexing, but only when bred directly together. And that being a black chick, it is 100% safe to say that it didn't come as a straight across hatch from either breed. However, it can very will still be an olive egger. An olive egger takes many, many forms.

So, the answer to your question is no, with a mix breed chick as in this case, the only way you can tell them apart is by vent sexing.

‘She’ also appears to have a single row straight comb and not a pea comb. Also indicative of cockerels in Olive Eggers according to sources online.

Looking for confirmation… anyone?
Any source that says this is full of malarkey and is a horrible source. I have 5 F4 olive eggers right now that are single straight combed and lay the most Olivey eggs your have ever seen.

Welsummer and legbars, 1/2 is the breeding stock listed, will produce a chick with a straight comb.

Again, colored eggers are a bunch of breeds thrown into a pot. What comes our is a mystery in terms of appearance.

Any source that says this is full of malarkey and is a horrible source. I have 5 F4 olive eggers right now that are single straight combed and lay the most Olivey eggs your have ever seen.

Welsummer and legbars, 1/2 is the breeding stock listed, will produce a chick with a straight comb.

Again, colored eggers are a bunch of breeds thrown into a pot. What comes our is a mystery in terms of appearance.
Okay… thank you! :)

Okay… thank you! :)
One clarification- you CAN get a sex linked chick from some of these combinations. However, you'd have to be very specific in who you breed together.

But, this hatchery appears to just let the kids go wild. So a male legbar (barred gene x2) v a female Maran (barred gene x0) can produce a barred black female with a straight comb.

Hi. I also purchased on Olive Egger from Patrick at Hilltop Farm 2+ years ago. Mine had a white spot too and she was/is definitely a pullet and lays beautiful large green/olive eggs. So don't let that throw you off since it's not necessarily an indication of male. Mine also has a single comb. I think she's a Crested Cream Legbar and Cuckoo Maran cross. See my girl in the pic:

Attachments

• 20210426_155704.jpg
    20210426_155704.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 114
Hi. I also purchased on Olive Egger from Patrick at Hilltop Farm 2+ years ago. Mine had a white spot too and she was/is definitely a pullet and lays beautiful large green/olive eggs. So don't let that throw you off since it's not necessarily an indication of male. Mine also has a single comb. I think she's a Crested Cream Legbar and Cuckoo Matan cross. See my girl in the pic:
What cuties! What does she look like now?

Back
Top Bottom