7.5 week old Sussex has me stumped

OK, the little sussex with be 9 weeks old tomorrow. The pink, sizable wattles still have me thinking it's a cockerel. But it's outlier, in least in my experience, in terms of how slow it's coming in. I've never had one leave me in suspense this long -- usually the little guys are screamingly obvious cockerels by this point. On the other hand, if its a pullet, it's quite unusually well developed in the wattles and comb for this age. I've had one other girl -- a lavender orpington who developed early, hanging pink jowls at 7 weeks, so I'm still not ready to make a 100% cockerel call. Maybe next week? Will keep updating.

First picture is the sussex with two of its hatch-mates -- a mr. obvious cockerel and a pullet -- along with mama hen who is still mothering them at 9 weeks. Second, it alone.
Pullet

She is very pretty, thank you. I've been waiting for the first egg, before updating again with a photo, but she is definitely a she. She is 16 + weeks old today, so I'm still a a couple of weeks out, at least, from egg territory. I will say, she has really big legs for a pullet, which is one reason I was so confused in sexing her.

She is very pretty, thank you. I've been waiting for the first egg, before updating again with a photo, but she is definitely a she. She is 16 + weeks old today, so I'm still a a couple of weeks out, at least, from egg territory. I will say, she has really big legs for a pullet, which is one reason I was so confused in sexing her.
Sussex are one of the breeds that continue to confuse people. Almost right up there with Wyandottes.

I have 2 speckled sussex that were supposed to be pullets and out of nowhere at about 12 weeks one sprouted a huge comb and started acting roostery. No previous signs of bossiness, extra thick legs, etc... total surprise. I resigned myself to having one rooster and then at about 14-15 weeks, the OTHER one grew a massive comb as well and started crowing like crazy, so now I have 2 really good-looking gentlemen. If speckled sussex are really that hard to sex and inconsistent in growth they'll be my last ones, but I sure do love these guys. Couldn't ask for better roosters.

lol, this is just dominance-
Hens can mount eachother sometimes, its usually either due to the absence of a male, or simply dominance. I'd bet yours did this due to her size, trying to stay up in the hierarchy.

My ducks do this, and alternate "playing the drake". One of them even tries to mate my leg 😂
Female dogs, bitches, do this too, trying to be leader.

Back
Top Bottom