7-7 week old White Leghorn-dad- crossed with a ... (Game hen-mom-, I think).. What gender are these?

briecheeze87

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
I have 7, seven week old baby chickens.

Dad is a White Leghorn (I only have one rooster) & mom was a chicken that wandered into my yard, I'm told it was a game hen. (she was medium sized laid small brown eggs, was red, but had green and black and blonde feathers too.

I thought for sure I had it figured out, I have 3 with next to no comb (I assumed to be female) & 4 with combs- but 2 different types...

MY female leghorns all have bright red and big cones... so then I had to re-think my theory here.

I am wanting to integrate these little guys into my flock but I am worried about having multiple roosters (My WLH is very dominant).

If you look at the pictures, some combs are single & red, but then 2 of the chickens have bright red combs but have multiple spikes (IDK what the proper terms are)

One thing I did notice is the 3 with little beige combs are mostly white with only a little coloring, however the other 4 are colored, grey/red/white, black/white, white/few black spots, & white/dark reddish-blonde.

Any help would be appreciated, also there is no difference in feathering yet.

The dark blonde-sih one has like 3 ridges in it's cone

The dark colored ones have singe combs/ & it almost seems like both the white ones (pictures far left & peaking out from the ramp have combs but they have multiple ridges) The colored ones have 1 ridge & the remaining 3 have next to no combs at all, or it is fleshy colored.

These ones have little to no comb.

I'd guess the ones with little yellow combs are the only pullets. I believe (with my very limited experience) that another good indicator is that only cockerels will have waddles at that age. Also, cockerels will have thick legs, and pullets will have narrower ankles.

I was thinking that, but the 2 different types of combs through me off... There mama has a multi ridges comb.. so i was hoping for more females then males.

welcome-byc.gif

Agree you have a lot of cockerels there.

Yep, your mature Leghorn hens have nice big combs, and so will your pullets when they mature. That's when it's all about how old the birds are. I didn't see an age, but I'm guessing around 3ish months? Pullets aren't going to have any comb to speak of this young.

Donrae, They are 7 weeks. Is that a dane in your profile pic?

Thank you everyone for your input, Since everyones agrees, I guess I didnt do too bad guessing myself, I've had the sex's guessed since about 4 weeks, when I started noticing the differences.

Yep, that's my Eve in my avatar. She's a year old, and for perspective that's a large snapple bottle in her mouth
roll.png
. She's not huge for a Dane, but she's sweet and mine. I hear she's replaced me in bed since I've been in the hospital.....I've told my honey he's going to have to either kick her out when I get home, or sleep on the sofa with her. I love her, but not sharing my bed with 110 lbs of twitchy puppy paws
tongue.gif

edited--duh, just saw the age in the title.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom