7-8 Week Brahmas

Kholts

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
7-8 week Brahma chicks. Yes I know they are not recognized colours for the breed. These are from a color project pen.

I have a creeping feeling my 2 oldest chicks are Roos. Could be months & months before I hear a crow. Any guesses?

Pea Comb Chick:
968ADA24-39BA-42DA-ADE1-1BE3798F0C52.jpeg 28A2EE06-A166-4E5B-A3D2-5CC59AD2F38B.jpeg

Straight Comb Chick:
CA053E4B-447C-4170-93D4-E34C983D467C.jpeg D9C46F4F-A675-41E9-89E5-E711A3A0FA7A.jpeg

Your oldest two chicks do look like possible cockerels, especially the pea comb bird. Can't see the others clearly enough to tell anything, and it is probably a bit early, anyway.

None seem to have "straight combs" assuming you mean single combs. I see all pea combs. I just consulted some pics of my Black Brahmas at that age for comparison. I'm think both the 7-8 week old ones are cockerels and other two pullets. Here's a pic of my two cockerels together and then the next two is my pullet. Your strain might have a bit different maturity rate because they're BBS, but my Black Brahmas pretty clearly showed sexual differentiation, more so than some of my other varieties of the same breed. I know this isn't a necessarily accurate judge, but my cockerels grew extremely tall and lanky at this age and became decently aggressive too. Hard to judge that from pictures though :)
F202A66C-C7AC-4DE0-8C89-E1B8FDE1A22B.jpeg

4C46D5AB-9574-4908-930D-569E9EBD701A.jpeg

0919262A-E2ED-494A-8601-68C0BF7E9EFF.jpeg

None seem to have "straight combs" assuming you mean single combs. I see all pea combs. I just consulted some pics of my Black Brahmas at that age for comparison. I'm think both the 7-8 week old ones are cockerels and other two pullets. Here's a pic of my two cockerels together and then the next two is my pullet. Your strain might have a bit different maturity rate because they're BBS, but my Black Brahmas pretty clearly showed sexual differentiation, more so than some of my other varieties of the same breed. I know this isn't a necessarily accurate judge, but my cockerels grew extremely tall and lanky at this age and became decently aggressive too. Hard to judge that from pictures though :)View attachment 2594166
View attachment 2594168
View attachment 2594169

Sorry yes I meant single Comb. Their combs are totally different between the 2 older birds.

All 3 of the other birds I’m not even guessing yet as they are only 5 weeks oldish. Their combs are still super Pale in color still.

The combs look pea, perhaps they just have a more prominent middle row?

Maybe that’s what it is. 1 has a long ridge that goes to its beak while the others ridge is short & doesn’t go the full length to its beak.

I see where I went wrong labeling it single/straight. They are both pea just different compositions.

The nine week olds do look like cockerels. The others look more like pullets to me, I would keep an eye on #2
There are still days I swap back & forth if the 7 week olds are pullets or Roos. I’m not in a rush to get rid of them yet until I know for sure.

The 9 week olds though I am pretty secure in the thought they are roosters so they will be finding new homes as I am not zoned.
The 9 week olds are cockerels.
The other pics, I think you have them backwards. #s 1&2 are looking like cockerels and #3 is looking like a pullet.
Gah! Don’t say that lol. I was fine with 2 pullets not 1! 😂 I’m going to have to look for more pullets if that’s the case.

Back
Top Bottom