Pics

Love and Chicks

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Hello,

This morning I went out to the coop to let my girlies out and one of them didn’t come out of the coop into the run. I found her in the coop in the corner not moving. She isn’t able to stand, walk, she’s weak and lethargic. She can barely lift her head and falls to her side if she does happen to try to stand. I’ve tried to give her electrolytes in a medicine dropper and it’s hard to get her to even drink. She was fine yesterday. We did get a storm late yesterday afternoon and the girls got a little wet. I put them in the coop for the night and found her this morning as described. I haven’t seen any diarrhea or blood and the other girls are acting fine. 4 chicks are 10 weeks and 4 are 7-8 weeks and they have been raised together. This week was the first week in the coop/run and they have been doing great. Like I said as of now the others don’t have symptoms, but I’ve never had this happen. I tried to call a vet but the one in our area that sees poultry won’t be open until Monday. Then one vet I called mentioned bird flu and now I am officially freaked out!!!! We do live next to a creek that has ducks, and they are in the area, but they don’t come in the yard. The girls have a coop and 8x12 run they stay in. The top and sides are covered with hardware cloth. This is the first time I’ve had chickens in years and the first random thing I’ve experienced so looking for any help or advice. Thank you.

We were able to get ahold of a vet we know, but it was a bit too late for us! He said it was probably cold-shocked since we had a storm the day before.

I just had it on a heating pad with a towel, gave it electolytes and water, but it was too late, it went through a cycle of vomiting, sleeping and seizures, and finally died. We gave it some air via CPAP, it seemed to help for several hours, but some BYC members said not to. I hope this will help you some.

What exactly have you been feeding them?
How long have the two groups of chickens been together?
Did you buy them from the dame place at the same time?

@Love and Chicks do you think she could have been injured, or kept from drinking water and eating? How does her crop feel? If you dip her beak in water, will she drink and then continue drinking? Poultry NutriDrench can be a great boost if given orally 1 ml.
What exactly have you been feeding them?
How long have the two groups of chickens been together?
Did you buy them from the dame place at the same time?
Also...can you go out and take a few pics of the remailing birds and coop real quick?
Use the attach files button on this box you type in to upload the photos.
@Love and Chicks do you think she could have been injured, or kept from drinking water and eating? How does her crop feel? If you dip her beak in water, will she drink and then continue drinking? Poultry NutriDrench can be a great boost if

@Love and Chicks do you think she could have been injured, or kept from drinking water and eating? How does her crop feel? If you dip her beak in water, will she drink and then continue drinking? Poultry NutriDrench can be a great boost if given orally 1 ml.
I guess it’s possible, but I don’t think she was injured. Unless she was last night. She was fine yesterday. She was eating and drinking and running around. If I dip her beak in water she wont even try to drink. She can’t hold her head up. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Back
Top Bottom