Pics

Love and Chicks

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Hello,

This morning I went out to the coop to let my girlies out and one of them didn’t come out of the coop into the run. I found her in the coop in the corner not moving. She isn’t able to stand, walk, she’s weak and lethargic. She can barely lift her head and falls to her side if she does happen to try to stand. I’ve tried to give her electrolytes in a medicine dropper and it’s hard to get her to even drink. She was fine yesterday. We did get a storm late yesterday afternoon and the girls got a little wet. I put them in the coop for the night and found her this morning as described. I haven’t seen any diarrhea or blood and the other girls are acting fine. 4 chicks are 10 weeks and 4 are 7-8 weeks and they have been raised together. This week was the first week in the coop/run and they have been doing great. Like I said as of now the others don’t have symptoms, but I’ve never had this happen. I tried to call a vet but the one in our area that sees poultry won’t be open until Monday. Then one vet I called mentioned bird flu and now I am officially freaked out!!!! We do live next to a creek that has ducks, and they are in the area, but they don’t come in the yard. The girls have a coop and 8x12 run they stay in. The top and sides are covered with hardware cloth. This is the first time I’ve had chickens in years and the first random thing I’ve experienced so looking for any help or advice. Thank you.

I’m trying. The vet I spoke to freaked me out so bad about the bird flu and having ducks so close by. I have their coop covered, and their run is all covered in wire, but I haven’t put a tarp or cover up yet for birds that fly overhead.
Bird flu is HIGHLY unlikely.
I haven't seen ONE person here on BYC mention they have dealt with it.

Coccidiosis is much more likely.

Can you go out and watch the other chickens right now and get fresh pictures of poop?

8 week old Buckeye. We’re in Texas so it’s warm. I think it got down into the 60’s last night so it was cool, but it wasn’t cold. They were all out in the rain for an hour before I got them put up in the coop.
I am in Houston.
I am even more positive now that you don't have to worry about the flu.

101% sure.

I have her in a large red tote-tub with fresh pine shavings and near the heat lamp for warmth but not under. She is in the very corner side of the tub and won’t move. I’ve never seen one this weak before, ever. She can’t chirp anymore but was chirping this morning. Still won’t take water.
Heat lamps are too hot. If she is indoors a heat lamp is not needed. You may be over heating her with it.

Has there been a lot of AI diagnosed in your area? Just because you are near a stream doesn’t necessarily mean it is AI. I would just keep nursing her, and get a necropsy if you lose her. Coccidiosis does strike at her age, especially with multiple age chickens. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up, no appetite, and runny poops, perhaps with blood, but not always. Corid in the water is the usual treatment.

The surrounding counties have had it from what the vet had mentioned.

She hasn’t been vaccinated yet. This is a dumb question, but is this something we can do early on vaccinate for coccidiosis and mareks? If so, I need to do it asap with the others. My local vet gave me the numbers to 10 other vets that may see poultry, none of them did, but they did refer me to the Texas wildlife/state vet that called me. They are the ones that are wanting to come out and check for AI and also Mareks I believe is what they said. They did tell me to bag her and put her in a fridge or cooler, so when I get home if she’s gone I’ll be doing that for the test on Monday and I’ll be looking at the link you posted for a necropsy. I really appreciate all of your advice and input. Thank you for that!
No you can not vaccinate for either any more/at this age. Both need to be done at hatch and the Marek's vaccine doesn't actually prevent the disease.

You are going to get a crash course in chicken diseases.

You do what ever you can't to prevent them from showing up in your flock because they don't go away.
Do not buy birds from anyone on Craigslist or another "backyard" breeder and you most likely won't have to ever deal with any disease.

Most people bring disease home when they are adding to their flock because they didn't know about disease and didn't realize they were buying sick birds to begin with.

This is why I asked you where you bought your birds.

You are less likely to buy sick birds from a major hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom