Has there been a lot of AI diagnosed in your area? Just because you are near a stream doesn’t necessarily mean it is AI. I would just keep nursing her, and get a necropsy if you lose her. Coccidiosis does strike at her age, especially with multiple age chickens. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up, no appetite, and runny poops, perhaps with blood, but not always. Corid in the water is the usual treatment.
The surrounding counties have had it from what the vet had mentioned.
What's the birds diet?
Sorry about your chick. Was the chick vaccinated for either Mareks or coccidiosis? What is your location? Although avian influenza has been around for the last couple of years, I would doubt that is the problem. Usually people know if it is prevalent in their area from the news. If the vet wanted to test, then it may be more serious there. Was this your local vet, or are they getting the state vet involved? The first signs can be dead and dying birds. Mareks can strike at your chick’s age, but there are many more possibilities. If you lose it, keep the body cold wrapped in plastic bags in the fridge or a cooler but do not freeze. Then contact your state vet lab first thing in the morning, and ask how to get a necropsy. Here is a list:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
She hasn’t been vaccinated yet. This is a dumb question, but is this something we can do early on vaccinate for coccidiosis and mareks? If so, I need to do it asap with the others. My local vet gave me the numbers to 10 other vets that may see poultry, none of them did, but they did refer me to the Texas wildlife/state vet that called me. They are the ones that are wanting to come out and check for AI and also Mareks I believe is what they said. They did tell me to bag her and put her in a fridge or cooler, so when I get home if she’s gone I’ll be doing that for the test on Monday and I’ll be looking at the link you posted for a necropsy. I really appreciate all of your advice and input. Thank you for that!

Bird flu is HIGHLY unlikely.
I haven't seen ONE person here on BYC mention they have dealt with it.

Coccidiosis is much more likely.

Can you go out and watch the other chickens right now and get fresh pictures of poop?
DBD03A64-01DA-436E-9FF0-3481F6D2CEDF.jpeg

Attachments

• 05A770F3-7D49-43A2-9FB9-7745ED713DF1.jpeg
    05A770F3-7D49-43A2-9FB9-7745ED713DF1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • CB3939C8-FD03-434C-93AA-C10499D6B7D4.jpeg
    CB3939C8-FD03-434C-93AA-C10499D6B7D4.jpeg
    969.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 4897B4D2-6C06-40F2-834E-D26E704A5F7B.jpeg
    4897B4D2-6C06-40F2-834E-D26E704A5F7B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Please keep us updated on what is happening. Hopefully, what is affecting your pullet is not anything serious that will affect your whole flock.
Sending off to the state lab for necropsy today. Appreciate the information provided in that. One field vet came out and said the rest of the chicks looked great, happy and healthy. I should have results this week and will update everyone.

@Love and Chicks do you think she could have been injured, or kept from drinking water and eating? How does her crop feel? If you dip her beak in water, will she drink and then continue drinking? Poultry NutriDrench can be a great boost if given orally 1 ml.
I guess it’s possible, but I don’t think she was injured. Unless she was last night. She was fine yesterday. She was eating and drinking and running around. If I dip her beak in water she wont even try to drink. She can’t hold her head up. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Back
Top Bottom