Bird flu is HIGHLY unlikely.
I haven't seen ONE person here on BYC mention they have dealt with it.

Coccidiosis is much more likely.

Can you go out and watch the other chickens right now and get fresh pictures of poop?
We had to leave to go to a graduation, but I will as soon as we get back home. Hopefully there is daylight left.
I honestly wasn’t concerned about bird flu until I talked to a vet, that asked a bunch of questions and offered no advice other than they wanted to send someone out to test her for it Monday. She thought being i loved on the creek, with the wild ducks flying over it was a possibility. Honestly scares me to death! Will coccidiosis make them this sick this fast? I’ve been watching their poop and haven’t noticed any crazy diarrhea or blood.

That’s what scares me. She’s so sick and weak. The vet said they were sending someone out on Monday to test for avian flu and one other thing.
I would just keep trying and see if it lives.
I think she got cold shock . that's what my feed store told me when mine was dying.
what breed is it? how cold was it outside? Where are you at?

Has there been a lot of AI diagnosed in your area? Just because you are near a stream doesn’t necessarily mean it is AI. I would just keep nursing her, and get a necropsy if you lose her. Coccidiosis does strike at her age, especially with multiple age chickens. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up, no appetite, and runny poops, perhaps with blood, but not always. Corid in the water is the usual treatment.

I would just keep trying and see if it lives.
I think she got cold shock . that's what my feed store told me when mine was dying.
what breed is it? how cold was it outside? Where are you at?
8 week old Buckeye. We’re in Texas so it’s warm. I think it got down into the 60’s last night so it was cool, but it wasn’t cold. They were all out in the rain for an hour before I got them put up in the coop.

8 week old Buckeye. We’re in Texas so it’s warm. I think it got down into the 60’s last night so it was cool, but it wasn’t cold. They were all out in the rain for an hour before I got them put up in the coop.
I am in Houston.
I am even more positive now that you don't have to worry about the flu.

101% sure.

Has there been a lot of AI diagnosed in your area? Just because you are near a stream doesn’t necessarily mean it is AI. I would just keep nursing her, and get a necropsy if you lose her. Coccidiosis does strike at her age, especially with multiple age chickens. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up, no appetite, and runny poops, perhaps with blood, but not always. Corid in the water is the usual treatment.
The surrounding counties have had it from what the vet had mentioned.
What's the birds diet?
Sorry about your chick. Was the chick vaccinated for either Mareks or coccidiosis? What is your location? Although avian influenza has been around for the last couple of years, I would doubt that is the problem. Usually people know if it is prevalent in their area from the news. If the vet wanted to test, then it may be more serious there. Was this your local vet, or are they getting the state vet involved? The first signs can be dead and dying birds. Mareks can strike at your chick’s age, but there are many more possibilities. If you lose it, keep the body cold wrapped in plastic bags in the fridge or a cooler but do not freeze. Then contact your state vet lab first thing in the morning, and ask how to get a necropsy. Here is a list:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
She hasn’t been vaccinated yet. This is a dumb question, but is this something we can do early on vaccinate for coccidiosis and mareks? If so, I need to do it asap with the others. My local vet gave me the numbers to 10 other vets that may see poultry, none of them did, but they did refer me to the Texas wildlife/state vet that called me. They are the ones that are wanting to come out and check for AI and also Mareks I believe is what they said. They did tell me to bag her and put her in a fridge or cooler, so when I get home if she’s gone I’ll be doing that for the test on Monday and I’ll be looking at the link you posted for a necropsy. I really appreciate all of your advice and input. Thank you for that!

The surrounding counties have had it from what the vet had mentioned.

She hasn’t been vaccinated yet. This is a dumb question, but is this something we can do early on vaccinate for coccidiosis and mareks? If so, I need to do it asap with the others. My local vet gave me the numbers to 10 other vets that may see poultry, none of them did, but they did refer me to the Texas wildlife/state vet that called me. They are the ones that are wanting to come out and check for AI and also Mareks I believe is what they said. They did tell me to bag her and put her in a fridge or cooler, so when I get home if she’s gone I’ll be doing that for the test on Monday and I’ll be looking at the link you posted for a necropsy. I really appreciate all of your advice and input. Thank you for that!
Also, I’m in Texas. Arlington area/Tarrant County.

Back
Top Bottom