your chick is beautiful I’m so sorry it’s really hard for me when my chickens go through things like this, have you brought her inside because usually I bring my chickens inside when they’re sick and all the ones I have have recovered, it’s good that your seringe feeding and drinking so she doesn’t die of thirst. I usually give my sick girls antibiotics, and extra protien and calcium depending on the illness, sometimes you don’t know what it is and look up the symptoms. I really hope it gets better let me know if I can try to give more advice I know it’s hard but try not to give up hope, I had I chicken you was fine one day the next would not move eat or drink I found her sitting in pouring rain so I brought her in fave her antibiotics a bowl of food in water if she did drink but I still Seringe fed and watered her, eventually she slowly got better and after soaking her because I suspected egg bound she is ok. There was no egg. I have no idea but I held onto hope and she made it , I pray that your chick gets better

I’m trying. The vet I spoke to freaked me out so bad about the bird flu and having ducks so close by. I have their coop covered, and their run is all covered in wire, but I haven’t put a tarp or cover up yet for birds that fly overhead.
Bird flu is HIGHLY unlikely.
I haven't seen ONE person here on BYC mention they have dealt with it.

Coccidiosis is much more likely.

Can you go out and watch the other chickens right now and get fresh pictures of poop?

your chick is beautiful I’m so sorry it’s really hard for me when my chickens go through things like this, have you brought her inside because usually I bring my chickens inside when they’re sick and all the ones I have have recovered, it’s good that your seringe feeding and drinking so she doesn’t die of thirst. I usually give my sick girls antibiotics, and extra protien and calcium depending on the illness, sometimes you don’t know what it is and look up the symptoms. I really hope it gets better let me know if I can try to give more advice
If one isn't SURE of what they are doing they are very likey to push liquids down the wrong pipe of a chickens mouth and that will kill them. One drop can kill them.
No one should force liquids in to a bird's mouth unless they are sure they know what they are doing.

If one isn't SURE of what they are doing they are very likey to push liquids down the wrong pipe of a chickens mouth and that will kill them. One drop can kill them.
No one should force liquids in to a bird's mouth unless they are sure they know what they are doing.
Im just trying to help with my experience but thanks for the advice. I was also not forcing water down my chickens throat I use a dropper to drop it by her beak so she is encouraged to swallow it. I don’t do things that I don’t know how to do with my chickens because it’s not worth the chance of harming them

Oh poor thing she looks like she's dying😭!
mine was chirping,stood up and soon after died😢
poor thing!
That’s what scares me. She’s so sick and weak. The vet said they were sending someone out on Monday to test for avian flu and one other thing.

That’s what scares me. She’s so sick and weak. The vet said they were sending someone out on Monday to test for avian flu and one other thing.
Your vet won't see your bird but they will send someone out to your house?

Sorry about your chick. Was the chick vaccinated for either Mareks or coccidiosis? What is your location? Although avian influenza has been around for the last couple of years, I would doubt that is the problem. Usually people know if it is prevalent in their area from the news. If the vet wanted to test, then it may be more serious there. Was this your local vet, or are they getting the state vet involved? The first signs can be dead and dying birds. Mareks can strike at your chick’s age, but there are many more possibilities. If you lose it, keep the body cold wrapped in plastic bags in the fridge or a cooler but do not freeze. Then contact your state vet lab first thing in the morning, and ask how to get a necropsy. Here is a list:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom