Pics
Please keep us updated on what is happening. Hopefully, what is affecting your pullet is not anything serious that will affect your whole flock.
Sending off to the state lab for necropsy today. Appreciate the information provided in that. One field vet came out and said the rest of the chicks looked great, happy and healthy. I should have results this week and will update everyone.

So sorry for your loss. Glad that your others are looking good, and the field vet agreed. Please let us know what the necropsy shows when you get a preliminary or final report. I am very hopeful that it was an isolated death for something not contagious.

So sorry for your loss. Glad that your others are looking good, and the field vet agreed. Please let us know what the necropsy shows when you get a preliminary or final report. I am very hopeful that it was an isolated death for something not contagious.
Presumptive/prelim necropsy is Mareks. I paid another fee for pathology to confirm and should hopefully know tomorrow.

I had a lavender Orpington from a major breeder that was never ‘quite right’. Would hold her head funny, as if she couldn’t lift it. Would stand in a stupor at times etc. She became lethargic and holding her head funny for longer durations/episodes. She passed at 2 years old! Mareks! Shocked me she lived so long but must have been overlooked when vaccinated. Her clutch-mates were all fine.

Hello,

This morning I went out to the coop to let my girlies out and one of them didn’t come out of the coop into the run. I found her in the coop in the corner not moving. She isn’t able to stand, walk, she’s weak and lethargic. She can barely lift her head and falls to her side if she does happen to try to stand. I’ve tried to give her electrolytes in a medicine dropper and it’s hard to get her to even drink. She was fine yesterday. We did get a storm late yesterday afternoon and the girls got a little wet. I put them in the coop for the night and found her this morning as described. I haven’t seen any diarrhea or blood and the other girls are acting fine. 4 chicks are 10 weeks and 4 are 7-8 weeks and they have been raised together. This week was the first week in the coop/run and they have been doing great. Like I said as of now the others don’t have symptoms, but I’ve never had this happen. I tried to call a vet but the one in our area that sees poultry won’t be open until Monday. Then one vet I called mentioned bird flu and now I am officially freaked out!!!! We do live next to a creek that has ducks, and they are in the area, but they don’t come in the yard. The girls have a coop and 8x12 run they stay in. The top and sides are covered with hardware cloth. This is the first time I’ve had chickens in years and the first random thing I’ve experienced so looking for any help or advice. Thank you.
Yes it does sound like bird flu. We lost a bunch chicks and hens here back in 2021, out of 30 chickens only 5 survived. But we were not the only affected either. Everyone in our area was affected. Now we did save one, we gave it vitamin C mixed with water. Pretty much have to force them to drink it. But this was with an older hen though. The chicks don't seem to last long when they are sick. We just got a young chicken not acting normal and one of her eyes was watery. We mixed the vitamin c with the water and also mixed some vetracin, not sure it is spelt right, but mixed with the food. We do have it quarantine from the rest of the group. Keep an eye out for the others as well. Give them some vitamin c also. I live in the Philippines, so it is kind of common here. We alway seem to lose some chicks just out of the blue and not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom