7/8 Wk Old Cochin & ?Easter Egger? - Gender

ruby2727

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Colorado Springs
Hello,
I purchased my first ever batch of 5 chicks from a feed store in mid April. They were purchased as sexed pullets since I cannot have roosters in the city where I live. I'd appreciate your opinions on the 2 below. Thanks so much for your help (and I apologize if I've made any mistakes in the way I posted the pictures)!!

First is my 7 week old Silver Laced Cochin, Charlotte, is there any chance at all Charlotte is not a rooster?

Next is Mary. She was sold to me as a buff orpington pullet. She was a little yellow chick but at 2 weeks we noticed her legs were green, so we assumed she was actually an Easter Egger. A few days ago, at 8 weeks, her comb started getting slightly pink at the base. I'm curious whether you think she's an Easter Egger and whether you think she's a pullet.

Thanks again!

There's no way Charlotte is a girl. Charles now.

For Mary I'm thinking possibly pullet on account of her comb being nice and small. But to be sure could you get a picture of her back? Try to get her shoulders in one shot and farther back in another. If the red on her shoulders is a lot darker than the rest she's probably a cockerel.

cockerel cochin
want to say pullet ee but color says cockerel to me
For the easter egger, is color more important than the other factors you might consider such as her comb size/color, legs, the way she carries herself? I'm just trying to understand what to look at?

Thanks for your opinion and help!

I just want to be sure I understand you - Are you both saying that you're confident that both the cochin and easter egger are pullets, or are you saying it's not entirely clear on the easter egger at this point?

Thanks.
Sorry.. I couldn't figure out how to edit...I mean are you sure they're both roosters or are you unsure about the easter egger.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom