7 Biddies' Street

When I was little in the 1980s, my dad was a hobbyist flyer. Sometimes we would go flying as a family. He was a member of the airplane club, a group that maintained a small number of planes for members to use to cut costs of ownership. What I mostly remember? Learning how to steer a plane ( I got to sit copilot a few times) and needing a barf bag for every landing(I get terrible motion sickness).

When I was little in the 1980s, my dad was a hobbyist flyer. Sometimes we would go flying as a family. He was a member of the airplane club, a group that maintained a small number of planes for members to use to cut costs of ownership. What I mostly remember? Learning how to steer a plane ( I got to sit copilot a few times) and needing a barf bag for every landing(I get terrible motion sickness).

Oh no. One of THOSE! I had 88 of them on a flight once between DC and Philly. Then had 88 more between Philly and Boston. The smell from the first bunch, set the second bunch off before we even took off. The flight crew gagged walking through the cabin. I was too busy to get sick ... going down the aisle with a bucket of ice water and every napkin, tray table cloth, and paper towel I could get my hands on, just slapping them on foreheads and the back of necks as I went, while turning on all the air vents. Just the memory is making me sick and that was back in 1965!

I have problems with motion sickness on a boat in choppy water, and sometimes in a car depending on the driver. BUT, I'd never had a problem flying until one night trying to land at the new Denver airport in a massive thunderstorm. I don't know how many times we circled and lined back up for the runway because I had my head back, eyes closed, and was practicing focusing on other things. Everyone on the flight was. I've NEVER heard a plane so quiet. Seriously, not a peep... All I know is that it took us forever to land. The couple times I looked out the window I regretted it because I'd see the lights on the wing and feel us lurch and then see the runway lights get terrifyingly close to the lights on the wing and the pilot would pull back up and we'd have another go at it.

th.gif

This thread is making me VERY excited for my trip to Japan...

Haha, don't let a few stories scare ya. Most flights are uneventful!
Going to Japan sounds awesome. I have a HS friend who lives there. He met his wife (a Japanese citizen) in college, and after both working in the US for a few years they moved and never looked back. They are close with her family and he travels a lot for work.

Back
Top Bottom