7 Biddies' Street

Hello all!!!! Glad to be back but still figuring out the new layout of things. 7biddies- did you venture over to BYH? I didn't see you over there...not that I spent too much time there either :barnie too confusing!

I ventured over and really liked it at first glance (because of all the other critter info)... then the complaining began. Ugh. Some of them were really not thrilled to have chicken talk and increased traffic even if temporary. I'm not sure I'll go back there. I like it here! I hope we didn't lose 7 Biddies to the format change here.

Ok. I'm back. I lost my way and my lovely photo for awhile, but all's good, now. I haven't been getting notifications of new posts. Anyone else? Been busy with the yard and trying to put a roof over the 10x6' dog pen that the new girls are going into. I bought all of the supplies, but am too busy when I get home from work to work on it ... plus, it's been too hot. I'm using PVC pipes and joints, glued together, with some plastic corrugated roofing over it. The babies are quickly outgrowing their new space, so I've got to get busy. Living alone, I still haven't figured out how (who?) I'm going to carry the darn thing down the mountain from the garage and set it on top of the pen. Oh, well. One step at a time.

BTW What's BYH?

Yay! Glad you're back. BYH = Backyard Herds, one of our sister forums. It's all things herd animals + bees and rabbits. Some folks there were real cool, but enough weren't thrilled with BYC refugees during the move that it made it occasionally unpleasant or unwelcoming. I kinda feel branded as a BYCer, and like I won't fit in over there because of it. Had I joined at another time, it would probably be a different story.
Sounds like you are keeping busy! Heat!?! What's that?? It's SNOWING at my place :mad:
Don't dog pens work wonderfully for chicky-doodles? We converted a 10'x10' dog kennel that we used when we were city dwellers into a chicken tractor. It's now a mobile grow out pen.

Aha! I'd never heard of the herd before, so appreciate the information.

Still snowing in Idaho? Jeez Louise, school will be out tomorrow, here.

I use the chain link dog pen for growing them out, after they're too big to stay in the large dog crate. Brooder >>> dog crate >>> dog pen >>> full fledged chicken coop, is the sequence of abodes. At 2 months old, they're on stage 3. The pen is on the hill, just below the coop, so the other girls can come visit, intermingle germs/bacteria, and they can all get used to one another before everyone finally cohabitates. I'll keep the babies in there until they start laying around Labor Day. Then, it's off to the coop (Hen House and run).

I just lost another of my big girls, who are about 3 years old, so I'm down to 4, now, only 2 of whom are truly laying. After a lean summer, egg-wise, I'll be up to my knees in them this fall. Motor-mouth Margaret T. Hatcher vanished Tuesday afternoon after I got home from work. Just as well. She was the big cheese of the flock, but hardly ever laid. She was a Speckled Sussex ... very pretty, but bossy. Every time I paid attention to one of the others, she'd get jealous, come running over, jump up and peck her on the head. I wasn't looking forward to integrating the babies with her around. Seems my problem has been solved for me.

Back
Top Bottom