7 dead in 1 night

@Mglinski Is your coop not locked up at night?
Pics of your coop and run might give a clue to what, and how to secure so it doesn't happen again.

Historically we have not locked up our coop. But we have started since this happened. My worry is because they do free range and this fox is out by them during the day. We do have some traps set, but was curious if i need to look at more than just foxes. Are foxes known for killing multiple via means of biting off their heads? Just thought it was weird the fox would not have taken the whole chicken. But i know i found all that were killed that day, started locking them up at night, and we just found another chicken with no head yesterday. So either this is happening during the day as well, or this was one that maybe we didnt find b4 and it just got dragged out. Im concerned fir them during the daytime now too.

Historically we have not locked up our coop. But we have started since this happened. My worry is because they do free range and this fox is out by them during the day. We do have some traps set, but was curious if i need to look at more than just foxes. Are foxes known for killing multiple via means of biting off their heads? Just thought it was weird the fox would not have taken the whole chicken. But i know i found all that were killed that day, started locking them up at night, and we just found another chicken with no head yesterday. So either this is happening during the day as well, or this was one that maybe we didnt find b4 and it just got dragged out. Im concerned fir them during the daytime now too.
With mine I’ve had multiple kills at night or just on dusk but only singles during the day
Think they are a bit more cautious at daylight

A few months ago I eliminated a fox that killed my very special bird. This was my Gladys. She was a cross beak but such a love. The fox snatched her in the middle of the day while I was preoccupied. I still blame myself for loosing her. She was 3 years old. The coloring is odd somewhat in this picture her comb was red not how it looks in the picture.
IMG_20180220_165736.jpg

Gladys was a therapy chicken. This young male was so picked on by other birds that he couldn't walk. I put him in with Gladys and she would wait for him and eventually he began to walk again and do all of the chicken things.
IMG_20171113_161721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom