7 dead in 1 night

Mglinski

Chirping
Jul 7, 2018
Hello, last week we had lost 7 chickens in 1 night. Just their heads were gone. One was outside the coop, the other 6 were found in the coop partially burried under the bedding.

Today, i have seen a fox running around by our coop (middle of the day). Im curious if the fox could be the culprit to our dead chickens, or does it seem like we have more than 1 predator running around right now?

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances. :hugs I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know lots of people hear have dealt with foxes. I think I have heard that a fox will kill a lot of chickens at once, planning to come back for them later as needed. Thankfully I don't deal with foxes here.

I’m thinking a weasel since their heads were missing.

Fox is definitely a big predator but generally it’s not typical for them to take the heads but weasels are known for it.

Probably weasel. They like to take off the heads. A fox would have taken the whole bird, if it could.

This is definitely bad news for me. One of my neighbors saw a weasel in his yard.

Hello, last week we had lost 7 chickens in 1 night. Just their heads were gone. One was outside the coop, the other 6 were found in the coop partially burried under the bedding.
@Mglinski Is your coop not locked up at night?
Pics of your coop and run might give a clue to what, and how to secure so it doesn't happen again.

Normally, several birds dead with heads removed or damaged means coons, mink or weasel, but add in the burial of the carcass and that may be a bobcat.....one of their signature moves.
Fox will bury carcasses too.

a hungry racoon is more likely around here to take a head than a weasles, those jerks kill for sport and mostly just drink the blood, they will also try to hide them so they can feast later.
No wild animal kills for 'sport'...they will pile up carcasses but not sure they bury, maybe tho.

Back
Top Bottom