7 eggs from 6 chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by julianna47, Jul 18, 2019.

1. julianna47

julianna47 In the Brooder

May 23, 2016
    I got 7 eggs from 6 layers today. One was broken. My guess is that one of the young layers passed two at once??? Perhaps breaking one. Thought??

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Possible - it sometimes takes a bit of time to work all the kinks out of the egg laying process.

3. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I agree with @sourland sometimes it takes a while for a pullet to get the egg laying process correct. Be patient, they'll get there. :)

MountainGaurdian likes this.
  4. MountainGaurdian

MountainGaurdian Songster

Jul 17, 2019
    North Idaho
    I bought 50 leghorn pullets at the feed store on year and there were days that I got several more eggs than I had chickens, it is not unheard of for a hen to lay more than one egg in a day.

Generally with most of my hens it seems they "normally" lay about 1 egg every other day up to two eggs every three days.

With young hens I have had some very strange egg laying behavior when they first start out. In fact I have an egg that is almost circular and about 3/4 of an inch in diameter in the fridge from earlier this spring when one of my young hens started laying.

chrissynemetz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: