7 Eggs in the incubator due soon & my hen has gone broody now! Can I put those under her??

AliBia

Chirping
Jul 12, 2023
It's a conundrum for me!! Only 6 days left for my eggs in the incubator to hatch. And Snowy, one of my hens has gone broody.
Wondering if I can put those eggs under her at this stage!
Will she hormonally accept the newly hatched?
OR
Shall I wait till the eggs in the incubator hatch, and then replace the plastic eggs under Snowy with the chicks?

🙏Suggestions will be most appreciated please.

She'd need close to 20 days to accept the babies and even then some hens aren't good mothers. I have hens kill chicks as soon as they hatch, so they aren't allowed to hatch any.
BBT thanks for your insight! I have a brooder ready for the due chicks, but wondered if it's possible to fast-track Snowy's broodiness and see if she mothers the babies. I'll probably give her fertile eggs to sit on, and for her to do the full broody period with her choo-choo rewards!

Perhaps don’t take a chance this time. If Snowy hasn’t proven herself yet (being a successful broody), then it’s best not to put the new chicks at risk. Good wishes for your hatch! ☺️

Has Snowy been broody before? I have a regularly broody hen, an OE named Lilly, who will accept eggs from a 'bator and chicks, as long as she's already broody. She's incredible!
Thanks for your response Alexandra 🙏 Snowy was broody last year, and hatched one gorgeous Black Orpington chick, Sooty! My mistake at misreading the candling the eggs ended up terminating the lives of several chicks. She was a fantastic mother though!
I gave Snowy nine fertile eggs this evening and transferred her to a brooding coop away from the rest of the flock. She didn't protest and is sitting pretty, fingers-crossed she will do the needful and be instinctually guided.
As for the chicks that hatch from the bator, they will go under my wings!

Perhaps don’t take a chance this time. If Snowy hasn’t proven herself yet (being a successful broody), then it’s best not to put the new chicks at risk. Good wishes for your hatch! ☺️
WoDia, thanks for sharing your POV. I feel you're right! I have put eggs under Snowy, and hope she successfully hatches them. The eggs in the incubator will hatch as they do, and I'll be as good a daddy as I can be.
Thank you for your kind wishes.

WoDia, thanks for sharing your POV. I feel you're right! I have put eggs under Snowy, and hope she successfully hatches them. The eggs in the incubator will hatch as they do, and I'll be as good a daddy as I can be.
Thank you for your kind wishes.
You’re very welcome @AliBia! Please let us know how Snowy and her eggs (and the new incubator eggs!) are doing. Would love to see photos too. ❤️

Thanks for your response Alexandra 🙏 Snowy was broody last year, and hatched one gorgeous Black Orpington chick, Sooty! My mistake at misreading the candling the eggs ended up terminating the lives of several chicks. She was a fantastic mother though!
I gave Snowy nine fertile eggs this evening and transferred her to a brooding coop away from the rest of the flock. She didn't protest and is sitting pretty, fingers-crossed she will do the needful and be instinctually guided.
As for the chicks that hatch from the bator, they will go under my wings!
Of course! That sounds like a good plan!

Back
Top Bottom