7 Free Mystery Cockerels: what might they be?

CavalierX

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
The Oregon High Desert
Farm Store came up short on our Pullet Chic order and threw in 7 free Mystery Cockerels.

Y7EKnbC.jpg
4grAB3o.jpg

You can see the Boys here in these pics with the dots on their heads (they came with a blue'ish black dots); I took a red Sharpie and marked their heads to hopefully keep telling them apart. They girls are New Hampshire Reds. They boys look very similar -- I am guessing Rhode Island Reds? or Golden Sex Links (assuming these were marked as Cockerels for some obvious reason).

What do you think? These chicks are just a couple days old in these pics.

Difficult to tell the down colour with the lamp but I would guess red/gold sex links. May help to get a pic in natural lighting though

Farm Store came up short on our Pullet Chic order and threw in 7 free Mystery Cockerels.

View attachment 2076240View attachment 2076241

You can see the Boys here in these pics with the dots on their heads (they came with a blue'ish black dots); I took a red Sharpie and marked their heads to hopefully keep telling them apart. They girls are New Hampshire Reds. They boys look very similar -- I am guessing Rhode Island Reds? or Golden Sex Links (assuming these were marked as Cockerels for some obvious reason).

What do you think? These chicks are just a couple days old in these pics.
Turn off the heat lamp and snap a few pictures, the red light of the lamp distorts the picture and so it makes it very difficult to see what needs to be seen to assess identity. You could turn off the heat lamp for several minutes to take pictures and not do any harm to the birds. That being said if they look very similar to your red breed females, they are not red sex link males because red sex link males are not reddish in tone at all comment they hatch with white down a no red markings which is what makes them easily distinguished from red sex link females who hatch with red tones.

When they include "packing peanuts" of any breed they do mark them because they want you to know that they are the cockerel chicks that have been thrown in as extras. They can be any breed that the hatchery offers as when they are sexing chicks and throw them into girls and boys bins then when they look for packing peanuts they just grab the nearest bin of males and throw some in there

COCKEREL1.jpg
cockerel2.jpg

The second pic is of 2 of the mystery cockerels in the middle with a pullet at the top of the pic. Also another Cockerel sticking his head our of the brooder heater.

Back
Top Bottom