7 happy hens but only 2 eggs a day

Proverbs12ten

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
New Zealand
We have 7 hi line hens that are happy, healthy and friendly and started laying last week. Only 2 eggs a day are being laid and the coop has 7 comfy spaces for them, plenty clean water, food, mash and greens. We're in NZ, it's Summer with looking days but wondering what I can do to help the others along. They are about 5 & 1/2 months old.
If there is some poop in their bedding does it deter them? Should I make better privacy? Stop visiting them every few hours? :)
Any advice helps!
:)

Do you have roosts? The nest boxes will stay cleaner if they roost elsewhere.

Also, they will all probably only use one or to of the nest boxes. They all seem to like to share a favorite or two... The biggest thing is patience.

I don't know what a hi line is... I guess I will have to learn... so I don't know how often they are supposed to lay. Do you know if they are daily layers? Some breeds lay as rarely as an egg a week, while other breeds lay daily.

They are high producing 1 egg a day layers. They do roost and have plenty spots for that. Roosting is where they perch right? They do tend to roost at night right above the beds which we are going to cover up with another wood. We can make another long perch for them outside the room. So even though they're all the same age and breed, they can still tend to start laying at different times? I just went and found 1 more egg. 2 total for today! My husband already ate it:)Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes...Each hen is different. Laying times will vary. I have 5 very entitled hens, all of whom appear to be on vacation!! To be fair, 4 are just completing their molt and it is winter. But the 5th hen & I have had a few serious talks!!

Heehee. Women;) I will practice more patience and stop staring at them when they go in their favorite spot to lay. They're just so fascinating!

I love mine. We were getting a dozen a day for the last two weeks, now it's been -10 and lower at night for 3 days and.... Nothing. :(

Back
Top Bottom