7 month old Australorp hasn't started laying yet!

nola_chickens

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Hey there. I have a 7 mo Australorp, Ostrich, and a 7 mo Golden-Laced Wyandotte, Sophie. Sophie started laying last month, but Ostrich still hasn't started! What gives? They're the same age exactly.
Also, Ostrich recently started pecking at the wooden fence. Any ideas about this odd behavior?

my chickens peck at anything out of the ordinary, or even stuff that is ordinary. Any speck on the wall of the coop, inside or out, might be worth a peck. they are also currently trying to excavate under the fence. go figure.
I second cherrychicken, she might be a he. is "she" noisier? it might be cock-a-doodling or not quite. i think there's a forum you can post pictures.
good luck!

You could post a picture right on this thread to see if you like but you probably have nothing to worry about. If she isn't crowing at 7 months, she is probably a she. Sometimes they just take longer to mature. I have Ameraucanas that didn't lay until they were 9 to 10 months old. They are all definitely girls because they did finally lay. Just a little patience grasshopper
wink.png

Quote:
I'm actually glad to hear this (I think). We are starting to wonder if our Ameraucana is a "he" because she is 6.75 months old and still not laying. Is this a breed known for late laying?

The last batch of chickens I raised took a little over a year to star laying, and I've got a few that are 14 months and still not laying. I heard the same from a lot of people last year who bought hatchery chicks--the hatchery chicks didn't seem to be right, they were not laying...but ones hatched at home from local eggs started laying right on time.

Well, that bird is a hen, and from the nice red comb I'd think she's laying. Does she free range? Have you gone on an egg hunt or kept her confined for a few days? If she's not hiding her eggs now, she'll start laying very soon.

I agree with donrae. She's definitely a hen. And a beautiful one at that.
What kind of feed do you have her on? Layer ration? Does she free range? Maybe she needs a little more protein in her diet. Or she could be hiding them on you.
wink.png

Give it a little more time. No need to start worrying yet. If she's anything like my girls, you'll know when she has laid an egg.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom