7 month old Columbian Wyandotte-rooster or hen?

Oh goodness! Now I really don't know LOL
@oldhenlikesdogs any ideas? I still see "roosterly" features, but could be wrong. But he has a bit of hennish looks too. (don't ya'll love my made up words;))
I think one is a hen, and the other may be a manly hen. :)

Wyandotte in general are bums as far as laying. I'm not that surprised they aren't laying yet. Hens are just finally starting to fire up here. So maybe soon.:fl

:D:D:D:D

Wyandotte in general are bums as far as laying. I'm not that surprised they aren't laying yet. Hens are just finally starting to fire up here. So maybe soon.:fl

Yes, the one is definitely a hen. It’s just so weird how the other has such different features. All my hens’ feathers are pretty much shaped the same and lay the same, even though they’re different breeds and different colors. The feathers on the mystery bird are odd because they’re not like all the other hens but they’re not like a rooster either.
Thanks again for your help and making me feel better about questioning this bird.

:D:D:D:D

Yes, the one is definitely a hen. It’s just so weird how the other has such different features. All my hens’ feathers are pretty much shaped the same and lay the same, even though they’re different breeds and different colors. The feathers on the mystery bird are odd because they’re not like all the other hens but they’re not like a rooster either.
Thanks again for your help and making me feel better about questioning this bird.
Well, keep us posted. I doubt anything will change since they are about 1yr old, but it's interesting.

I think OldHen may be right, it's just a manly hen. I think we had decided the comb was a bit different too?

Yes. It’s much bigger and brighter. But also like OldHen said, maybe it’s getting ready to lay? I’m not sure if the other has laid an egg yet but she does crouch down when I go to touch her, like all my other hens. The mystery bird does not. Not sure if that means anything. I thought I read hens do that once they start laying?

Attachments

• 76F2ACE5-D576-41D8-9C10-C9C0043636F9.png
    76F2ACE5-D576-41D8-9C10-C9C0043636F9.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Yes. It’s much bigger and brighter. But also like OldHen said, maybe it’s getting ready to lay? I’m not sure if the other has laid an egg yet but she does crouch down when I go to touch her, like all my other hens. The mystery bird does not. Not sure if that means anything. I thought I read hens do that once they start laying?
Yes, some pullets/hens will squat for you when they are in lay. Not all will though or not all mine did LOL
Well, what did you name him/her?

I personally don't use them crouching down either as a sign of laying. Generally I just see them in the nestboxes one day. All of my Wyandotte lay oblong eggs so it's easy for me to tell a Wyandotte egg from my other breeds. Other breeds can lay oblong eggs too so it's just another thing I'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom