7 Month Old Silkie Hen seems too skinny

michellelei1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Brockton, MA
Hi,
I have a 7 month old silkie and she's never been plump but her breast bone is very prominent when you feel it. She doesn't appear skinny because of her feathers but it doesn't seem normal.

She is acting fine.

Her poop is normal.

She is fed layer pellets among other treats scrambled egg, yogurt, fruit, corn

She is housed with 2 japanese bantams that eat like pigs

There is a constant supply of food and water.

I put ACV in their water every time I change it.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing her to be soo skinny. They have all been treated for worms. She seems like a happy chicken except she's too skinny. Is there anything else I can do to fatten her up and make sure she's healthy. There aren't any vets around here that will see a chicken so I will have to treat her myself. I did just recently by a new bag of food and the other two chickens seem to be eating it and have been fine.

How much does she weigh? If she has a true walnut comb, she will have a keel ridge, a secondary effect of the pea comb gene.

If her weight seems light, I would suggest separating her for a day or two to a cage where you can monitor the amount she eats and her poops.

She doesn't have much of a comb at all. Mostly flat. She's not show quality. She only has four toes not five and a tiny little pouf on her head. She seems fine but I worry about her not eating enough. I've been separating her some of the time to give her extra food and treats now. She's my baby and I'd hate for anything to happen to her.

17603_delilah_swollen_face_006.jpg

17603_chickens_083.jpg

Back
Top Bottom