7 week chick isn't well...

theweerabbit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Scotland, UK
Hi everyone. I'm just looking for some advice but I'll give you a bit of background info first. One of my older hens didn't take kindly to a few of the chicks after initially being fine about it. It gradually got worse over a couple of days. It resulted in me coming home one day and finding one of the chicks with a pecked comb which was bleeding (thankfully the others ignored this) so I immediately separated them. The one with the pecked comb seems a lot happier today but one of the other ones is acting very strangely. He (think it's a boy) just stands there almost not moving and puffs his feathers right out and sticks his head in. I noticed this morning he seemed a bit wobbly on his feet as well and his little comb is pale. He ate and drank yesterday but haven't seen him do so today. I don't know what's best to do as I don't actually know what's wrong with him. I thought yesterday that the bullying and the accompanying stress might have made him feel not well but he doesn't appear to have improved today. I know it's hard to diagnose a chick that just appears under the weather without actually seeing his behaviour but does anyone have any idea what I should do next? :(

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

I've attached a few photos of how he is currently standing. He hasn't moved not even when I shoved a camera in his face. He kept his eyes closed over.

Last edited:
Does he show any signs of a resp. infection? Wheezing, discharge from eyes and nostrils,etc.? Also, do you own any geese?
Hi there. Thanks for your reply. No he doesn't have any of those symptoms at all. Just very lethargic and weak. I don't have any geese. The other chicks started to peck him a little so I went out and put him in the coop on his own so he doesn't get any hassle. He made these tiny tweeting noises when I picked him up but only very faint. Can a chick die of stress?! That's the only thing I can think of at the moment... :(

Young birds are at risk as their immunity develops. The best you could do is take the bird inside to a warm and comfortable environment. You will have to hand feed/ water the bird if it is not drinking/ eating on its own. That is where a syringe comes in handy. Moistened feed, scrambled egg are a couple foods high in nutrition most birds will eat. Syringe feeding/drinking requires small amounts given at a time to avoid aspiration.

Coccidiosis is one of the more common diseases plaguing young birds, so if you haven't been using Corid as a preventative in water, you will now have to give a treatment dose for 7 days. Medicated feed often does not work for a number of reasons. If infected with this protozoa for too long enteritis ensues and irreversible intestinal damage occurs. Corid 9.6% at 10 ml per gallon of water is the dosage. It can also be given straight, orally with a syringe. I will get the information on that dosage since I cannot remember it as I type this. Be back as soon as I can..

Last edited:
Young birds are at risk as their immunity develops. The best you could do is take the bird inside to a warm and comfortable environment. You will have to hand feed/ water the bird if it is not drinking/ eating on its own. That is where a syringe comes in handy. Moistened feed, scrambled egg are a couple foods high in nutrition most birds will eat. Syringe feeding/drinking requires small amounts given at a time to avoid aspiration.

Coccidiosis is one of the more common diseases plaguing young birds, so if you haven't been using Corid as a preventative in water, you will now have to give a treatment dose for 7 days. Medicated feed often does not work for a number of reasons. If infected with this protozoa for too long enteritis ensues and irreversible intestinal damage occurs. Corid 9.6% at 10 ml per gallon of water is the dosage. It can also be given straight, orally with a syringe. I will get the information on that dosage since I cannot remember it as I type this. Be back as soon as I can..

Thanks so much for your help. I'm very grateful. I won't be able to get the Corid until tomorrow now and I'm anxious he won't last through the night. I'll let you know but in the meantime I will try and get him to eat and drink. Would I be best to use Corid on all the chicks just in case that's what he has?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm very grateful. I won't be able to get the Corid until tomorrow now and I'm anxious he won't last through the night. I'll let you know but in the meantime I will try and get him to eat and drink. Would I be best to use Corid on all the chicks just in case that's what he has?

Yes. use the dose recommended previously for the sick one. Don't use medicated feed. I would begin with a preventative dose of Corid 9.6% at 1.5 tsp per gallon for 5 days, every 3 weeks until they are all at least 7 months of age. After each run of Corid, use vitamins-electrolytes, and probiotics in the water. Probios dispersible powder is an excellent product used in conjunction with vitamin powder. I do that 2-3 days a week. You're welcome for the help. i hope the little fellow recovers.

Last edited:
Yes. use the dose recommended previously for the sick one. Don't use medicated feed. I would begin with a preventative dose of Corid 9.6% at 1.5 tsp per gallon for 5 days, every 3 weeks until they are all at least 7 months of age. After each run of Corid, use vitamins-electrolytes, and probiotics in the water. Probios dispersible powder is an excellent product used in conjunction with vitamin powder. I do that 2-3 days a week. You're welcome for the help. i hope the little fellow recovers.

He's just died :( so sad about this. He was my favourite!

Thanks for your help and advice though. I hadn't heard of this disease before so I can get it tomorrow as a preventative for the others.

He's just died
sad.png
so sad about this. He was my favourite!

Thanks for your help and advice though. I hadn't heard of this disease before so I can get it tomorrow as a preventative for the others.

I'm sorry to hear that and know how you feel. That was a beauty of a cockerel and have lost a few favored roosters over the years. Amprolium is always good to keep on hand. The same with vitamin, probiotic supplements, and a few good antibiotics like Amoxicillin, Cephalexin, or Baytril. Metronidazole is another one I keep in the cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom