1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week chick - shaking head and gagging

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3LilBirds, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so my 7 week old has been shaking her head for awhile but not as much as today. I also noticed her gagging. She eats and drinks, weight seems good. Nothing abnormal other then shaking head and gagging. She doesn't seem impacted either. We looked in her mouth to see if there is gapeworms but couldn't see anything. So now what? Should I still give her wormer? She's been outside twice on the ground since she came home with me at 2 days old. What should I use if I worm her? Thanks!

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    If you worm her you should use Wazine brand.

3. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I'm not an expert but with her limited exposure to the outside I doubt its worms.

I suspect shes probably having a problem with something not wanting to pass through her crop. I had the same problem with one of my smaller hens. I manually expressed her crop several times then after giving her some bread soaked in olive oil the problem was fixed.

Again.. I'm not an expert... but mine was acting the same way and this is what worked for me.

4. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you to both of you. I'll try that even though I didn't feel anything in her crop but you never know. Too bad they can't tell us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by