7 week chicks - do these look like pullets?

thank you. did you see the barred rock pics above? I wasn't able to get very good ones. I will try again.

So is there any chance Nutmeg is a pullet? I read on here that the patchy coloration usually signifies cockerel in this breed. The comb showed a couple of weeks ago and the little almost crowing sounds are nothing I have heard from my other hens. Even my kids were like, uh oh.
Sorry, at only 7 weeks there is no possibility.

Thanks all. I put an ad to try to rehome Nutmeg as roosters are prohibited in my neighborhood :(
I sure hope he's the only one.

We ordered eight pullets and they threw in two extra. I said, they aren't throwing in two roosters are they, they wouldn't do that to me would they? It just so happens the two breeds that were extras are the suspected roos! They have us an extra easter egger and an extra barred rock.

if they were added for warmth during shipping, it is typical to use the cheapest and least wanted breeds for that purpose - either straight run or males.

Thanks all. I put an ad to try to rehome Nutmeg as roosters are prohibited in my neighborhood :(
I sure hope he's the only one.

We ordered eight pullets and they threw in two extra. I said, they aren't throwing in two roosters are they, they wouldn't do that to me would they? It just so happens the two breeds that were extras are the suspected roos! They have us an extra easter egger and an extra barred rock.
Whenever hatcheries give "extras" it is ALWAYS males.
Remember that.

Nutmeg and the BR are all male.

I’d guess Roo on Nutmeg- but he’s beautiful! You can tell by the tail and comb. The immature Roos are very sweet usually to people. Rosemary is a pullet. She’s beautiful as well! I can’t tell on the barred rock.
thank you, they sure arepretty. I heard immature roosters could be like that. We have a sweet little buff Orpington named Ginger that follows my daughter around and sits in her lap. But the other easter eggers aren't super friendly, just Nutmeg.

The barred rock looks like a slow developing cockerel. Don't rehome him yet, we will have more accurate knowledge in a few weeks.
okay. I am hoping hoping hoping they are female! Thanks alexa009

while not familiar with this particular breed, it is too much red in too developed comb (1st set of pictures) at 7 weeks for not to be a roo, imho
oh boy... And that red comb showed up awhile ago. It has been since early November at least.

if they were added for warmth during shipping, it is typical to use the cheapest and least wanted breeds for that purpose - either straight run or males.
we picked them up. I said to them after I counted, we only ordered eight. She said, we sometimes give extras in case something happens to them. I said they aren't tipsters are they because we can't have them in my neighborhood. SuRe didn't say no, she said sexing in 90% accurate.

Whenever hatcheries give "extras" it is ALWAYS males.
Remember that.

Nutmeg and the BR are all male.
oh shoot! How can you tell with the barred rock? That curly tale? The wattle?

we picked them up. I said to them after I counted, we only ordered eight. She said, we sometimes give extras in case something happens to them. I said they aren't tipsters are they because we can't have them in my neighborhood. SuRe didn't say no, she said sexing in 90% accurate.

oh shoot! How can you tell with the barred rock? That curly tale? The wattle?
Yup. And leg width.

Back
Top Bottom