7 week old BA very sick not sure what wrong please help

Rolmstead3

In the Brooder
May 3, 2017
Vermont
I have a 7 week old BA rooster that appears to be very sick, about a week ago he started to walk funny and stumble all over the place, his walking keeps getting worse as you will see in the video below. He eats he drinks I have been giving him electorlytes in his water and started him on medicated feed, but still getting worse. the Vets around do not do poultrey so they can't help. If he is healable i will do what i can but if hes not then i don't what him suffering either.

Heres the video of him trying to walk today. No I did not drop him, wife paused the video while I was holding him.

I feel so bad but I think it's merecks disease it makes their legs paralyzed and they can die from it but some live it's kinda like cancer some make it and sadly some don't i am not sure if they are permanently paralyzed but I think so. She looks to be mid stage she is not full paralyzed yet but soon. Sadly there isn't a treatment for the disease

I feel so bad but I think it's merecks disease it makes their legs paralyzed and they can die from it but some live it's kinda like cancer some make it and sadly some don't i am not sure if they are permanently paralyzed but I think so. She looks to be mid stage she is not full paralyzed yet but soon. Sadly there isn't a treatment for the disease
He can walk okay as long as he goes slow, but does have a lot of head bouncing

Okay, try treat for Wry neck. Give Poly-Vi-Sol without iron.
I'm showing both boxes to show how easy it is to know the difference. That way you're not wasting time looking at the ingredients.
92F7A6F0-4632-4658-A1A3-5C2361982544-732-0000008D947C91CB.jpeg DE7BBEEB-C6CC-4FB1-BADD-2B3DB901223B-732-0000008DA9DD54E9.jpeg

It is definitely a neurological problem. Mareks is a possibility (I hope not,) and it can show up with differing symptoms in each bird. Common symptoms are paralysis in one or both legs, loss of balance, eye changes in some, and later some has skin lesions or tumors. Some birds get suddenly very sick and go down hill quickly, while others may have lesser symptoms. There are other diseases or conditions it could be, but if the chick dies or you see another bird with symptoms of Mareks, I would get a necropsy done by your state vet or poultry lab. We can give you contact info if needed

Do you see any swelling or gunk in or around it's ears? Has it been shaking it's head a lot? I would wonder about an head injury, but it still looks more like possible Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom