7 week old Barred Rocks-Gender Help Please

MikeHoncho

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Hello,
I have 3 Barred Rock chicks and I am not sure of the sexes. I think one is a pullet (the one with a small comb). The one with the larger comb and waddles and the lighter colored one I think may be cockerels. When the two (males?) chest bump, the darker one will flare its hackle feathers(i guess), but the lighter one will not. The lighter ones has a small comb that has not increased in size in a while unlike the darker one that seems to grow steadily.
My questions are:

1) What are the sex of the three birds?

2) Are the color(s) of the birds correct for the breed?

Pullet (bird 1)

Cockerel-light (bird 2)

Cockerel-dark (bird 3)

Thank you in advance!!!

Barred Rocks can be sexed by color since barring is a sex-linked trait. The dark birds are female and the light birds (#s 2, 3, and 4) are male.

Here is a photo that should help. Cockerel on the left, two pullets on the right.

As far as color correct for the breed--no, it's not. In fact, they almost look more cuckoo than barred. The barring should be very clear and should match up feather to feather. If you'd like to see photos of what Barred Rock should look like when bred to the breed standard, go to this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/870774/barred-rock-heritage-or and scroll down to see pictures of Fred's Hens' birds.

Your birds would not be birds you'd want to use for a breeding program due to extremely poor barring. Other than that, they look like fine healthy hatchery birds that should lay nice eggs for you.

Last edited:
Looks like you have one pullet and two cockerels. Usually when they bump chests, it means that they're boys--but sometimes (rarely, in my opinion) the girls will bump chests as well. If they're from a hatchery, then that's usually the correct color. Normally only show quality birds have the straight barring, though I like hatchery birds just the way they are

Thank you all for your replies. I at least know what I have now. I will be on the lookout for true heritage barred rocks now I know what to look for. You both have been more than helpful. Thanks again!!!

Thank you all for your replies. I at least know what I have now. I will be on the lookout for true heritage barred rocks now I know what to look for. You both have been more than helpful. Thanks again!!!

Any time. If you want true Barred Rocks, you'll have to go to a breeder. I would personally PM Fred's Hens to see if he knows where you could get better quality birds if you're very motivated.

I like my Barred Rocks a lot, even though mine are from a hatchery, too. Very mellow ladies, and I like their looks.

Looks like you have one pullet and two cockerels. Usually when they bump chests, it means that they're boys--but sometimes (rarely, in my opinion) the girls will bump chests as well. If they're from a hatchery, then that's usually the correct color. Normally only show quality birds have the straight barring, though I like hatchery birds just the way they are
I’ve been raising chicks for 15 or so years and have noticed pullets chest bumping to establish who the hen of the roost is

Back
Top Bottom