7 week old chick started biting

gypsylady32

Songster
Mar 22, 2021
Columbia, TN
I have three 7 wk old barred rock chicks. (My first flock)
tempImageoPNzmv.png
The breeder I got them from said they were all pullets. One I am pretty sure is a rooster due to much lighter color and no dark markings on legs. (See photo. Not sure why it loaded sideways, but you can see the one is much lighter. They were 5 wks old in the photo.) This possible rooster has always been more skittish than the other two girls. (I'll say "he" just to keep my post clear.) I had been keeping them in a large dog crate in my office due to the cold and keeping them warm. I finally got my coop outside all ready for them and the weather is warm enough for them to spend the days outside. I move them back into the brooder at night. When I pick up my chickens to move them, the one that is probably a boy bites me. He latches on and does not let go of my skin. I know this is probably an attempt at dominance but I'm not sure what to do about it. I do spend a lot of time with all of them. I hand feed them and when I pick them up to move them, I pet them. The girls seem fine and fairly calm, but the one lighter one, not so much. Should I be doing something different or is a rooster just going to be naturally aggressive?

Are you planning on keeping him regardless? There are lots of articles about taming aggressive roosters. The earlier you start working with him the more effective it will be. I seem to have lucked out with my boy, but he was my favorite as a chick and I handled him more than any other chick I had at the time. He's still skittish!

I have three 7 wk old barred rock chicks. (My first flock)View attachment 2665078The breeder I got them from said they were all pullets. One I am pretty sure is a rooster due to much lighter color and no dark markings on legs. (See photo. Not sure why it loaded sideways, but you can see the one is much lighter. They were 5 wks old in the photo.) This possible rooster has always been more skittish than the other two girls. (I'll say "he" just to keep my post clear.) I had been keeping them in a large dog crate in my office due to the cold and keeping them warm. I finally got my coop outside all ready for them and the weather is warm enough for them to spend the days outside. I move them back into the brooder at night. When I pick up my chickens to move them, the one that is probably a boy bites me. He latches on and does not let go of my skin. I know this is probably an attempt at dominance but I'm not sure what to do about it. I do spend a lot of time with all of them. I hand feed them and when I pick them up to move them, I pet them. The girls seem fine and fairly calm, but the one lighter one, not so much. Should I be doing something different or is a rooster just going to be naturally aggressive?
@Rhodebar Lover

Are you planning on keeping him regardless? There are lots of articles about taming aggressive roosters. The earlier you start working with him the more effective it will be. I seem to have lucked out with my boy, but he was my favorite as a chick and I handled him more than any other chick I had at the time. He's still skittish!
I would like to keep "him" but I guess that depends on how aggressive he ends up. I do still handle him and I'm not scared of him. Just a bummer because I only wanted 3 hens. I'll keep working with him. Just looking for tricks that worked for other folks.

I would like to keep "him" but I guess that depends on how aggressive he ends up. I do still handle him and I'm not scared of him. Just a bummer because I only wanted 3 hens. I'll keep working with him. Just looking for tricks that worked for other folks.
He should be fine if you handle him a lot. If he ever gets too aggressive, show him who's boss :)

I've heard so much conflicting advice on how to handle aggression. Some people say to be mean to them back like a another rooster would and "show them you're the boss." Others say to simply pick them up to act entirely different than another rooster to show that you're not a threat like carrying the rooster around when he's naughty.
In my experience, these nippy chicks aren't necessarily dominant, rather fearful. They remind me of a dog fear biting. These aren't the chicks that became aggressive in my experience. I would simply pick them up or maybe kind of force them down when they would do that and they'd usually stop and never grew up to be aggressive. The super friendly chicks are the ones that have turned bad for me. I would just stay hopeful that it's just the case of a nippy chick and just give gentle correction and teach him to trust.
Right now I'm dealing with a mildy aggressive rooster. Picking him up or making him submit did not work. It seems to make him more aggressive. Lately I have been just walking around with confidence and talking gently towards him and he has been great. If he gets too close I talk to him a bit and pet his back and he just walks away. I think the different approaches may work for certain roosters and not for others. I would just try to see if socialization will help! :)

Back
Top Bottom