7 week old chick started biting

I've heard so much conflicting advice on how to handle aggression. Some people say to be mean to them back like a another rooster would and "show them you're the boss." Others say to simply pick them up to act entirely different than another rooster to show that you're not a threat like carrying the rooster around when he's naughty.
In my experience, these nippy chicks aren't necessarily dominant, rather fearful. They remind me of a dog fear biting. These aren't the chicks that became aggressive in my experience. I would simply pick them up or maybe kind of force them down when they would do that and they'd usually stop and never grew up to be aggressive. The super friendly chicks are the ones that have turned bad for me. I would just stay hopeful that it's just the case of a nippy chick and just give gentle correction and teach him to trust.
Right now I'm dealing with a mildy aggressive rooster. Picking him up or making him submit did not work. It seems to make him more aggressive. Lately I have been just walking around with confidence and talking gently towards him and he has been great. If he gets too close I talk to him a bit and pet his back and he just walks away. I think the different approaches may work for certain roosters and not for others. I would just try to see if socialization will help! :)
Thanks for all the advice! I have a "play pen" sort of chicken run coming from amazon tomorrow. I will be letting the chicks out of the coop and giving them more space to just be chickens. My plan is to sit with them and let them get more used to me being around. If the skittish one stays that way, it's ok. We all have quirks. LOL I'll keep working on it and see how it goes. Not ready to give up just yet.

Thanks for all the advice! I have a "play pen" sort of chicken run coming from amazon tomorrow. I will be letting the chicks out of the coop and giving them more space to just be chickens. My plan is to sit with them and let them get more used to me being around. If the skittish one stays that way, it's ok. We all have quirks. LOL I'll keep working on it and see how it goes. Not ready to give up just yet.
I've had some great roosters who were nippy chicks. Usually they became more aloof roosters, but that can be a good thing and some people want that! Better if you happen to have little kids interacting with the flock :)

I've had some great roosters who were nippy chicks. Usually they became more aloof roosters, but that can be a good thing and some people want that! Better if you happen to have little kids interacting with the flock :)
Just me and hubby, no little kids. Aloof is fine. I just don't want to be attacked all the time. I think, for me, that would take the joy out of having chickens. :)

My friendliest cockerel chicks turned into the worste roosters, I avoid babying young males now. They get too comfortable and inevitably attack kids and guests. Please post more pics, I would like to investigate the possibility that you have three roosters. At five weeks those combs shouldn’t be that prominent.

My friendliest cockerel chicks turned into the worste roosters, I avoid babying young males now. They get too comfortable and inevitably attack kids and guests. Please post more pics, I would like to investigate the possibility that you have three roosters. At five weeks those combs shouldn’t be that prominent.
:eek: Say it isn't so!!! I'll take some more pics to post. I was told they hatched on March 19th. That would make them 8 wks old on Friday. The other two are dark and have dark markings on their legs. I was told all three were pullets, but I"m super new at this.

Here are some pics I just took of my three chicks. The last pic with the two sets of legs, the "roo" would be the ones at the back.
tempImageKuDw3v.png
tempImageBwYhrc.png
tempImageOaBPjr.png
tempImageSItjZV.png
tempImageK0GBt4.png

Uh oh.. it looks like you have a high chance of all cockerels. someone might've scammed you, or didn't know what they were doing when sexing...
Oh lord have mercy... I've wanted chickens for over 15 yrs and finally got them in March. That would SO suck if I got all boys. Yikes... I specifically wanted barred rocks and I drove an hour and a half to http://www.poultryhollow.org to get my hens. The lady assured me that they were all pullets. I can understand one mistake, but not 3!

Last edited:
Oh lord have mercy... I've wanted chickens for over 15 yrs and finally got them in March. That would SO suck if I got all boys. Yikes... I specifically wanted barred rocks and I drove an hour and a half to http://www.poultryhollow.org to get my hens. The lady assured me that they were all pullets. I can understand one mistake, but not 3!
I live very close to Poultry Hollow! I wouldn't worry about the darker two yet. Update in a couple weeks to be sure, but males typically would be much lighter in color :)

Back
Top Bottom