7 week old chick with runny poo, any idea?

thechickenchick

Born city, Living country
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eaton, Colorado
I have 12 7 wk olds together. They arnt getting much for treats. Oatmeal or rice at breakfast, occasionally lettuce or left over potatoes or eggs. The only thing they get every day is their breakfast. Moved them into coop on Sunday. All else seems well. I am pretty sure it is only one of them because its not all over the coop. It smells almost acidy?
sad.png
Is someone really sick? Any advice? Oh yea, its a milk chocolate kind of color, not dark and not white. Thank you for your time everyone.

add 2-3 tbsp of apple cider vinigar to a gallon water. You can give it to them as often as nessasary.

If you have changed food or given them something that they usually don't get, that can cause it. I would also treat for Coccidiosis for a couple of weeks. Try the apple cider vinagar first and then go to the other.
I use the vinagar when they are babies and it works like a charm.

I put the vinegar in the water this morning. Everyone seems happy and healthy but there is more runny poo. Forgive me I am truly a newbie, but what is Coccidiosis? How does one treat that?

You need to give the apple cider vinagar a few days.

If you have chickens under 6 month, they need to be on medicated feed. If they are older than 6 months, you can buy Sulmet, Amprolium, for cocci. It is popular for bloody stools, but it doesn't have to be bloody for them to be feeling effects from it.

I have a really good breeder friend that says when a chicken is doing anything abnormal with their body, other than cough etc., she treats for cocci.

Give the vinagar 3-4 days
big_smile.png

My poor obese cornishx BoBo is having the same loose stool problem. Do I need to quarantine him from the flock. Puttin in apple cider vinegar now. Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom