7 week old chicks beak looks damaged

HarmonyFox

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
So I was sitting with my birds in the brooder and noticed one of the roosters bead doesn't close fully. It's super minute but after further inspection I'm pretty positive he has the slightest crossbeak he can possibly have. I couldn't get a good picture of the crossbeak sadly but you can at least see the beak. His beak looks damaged and all his siblings beaks are a nice yellow and some have a bit of brown on them but none look as flakey as his beak. What could be up?
1022182037.jpg

1022182038c.jpg

1022182037d.jpg

1022182036b.jpg

Attachments

• 1022182037.jpg
    1022182037.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 1
It's an injury. As long as it's stable and it can eat and drink I would just leave it alone and let it grow out. That can take some time. Could have been caused by getting the beak caught in wire, a feeder or waterer, or even in a fight. Once the beak has a chance to grow out it will probably look normal again.

It's an injury. As long as it's stable and it can eat and drink I would just leave it alone and let it grow out. That can take some time. Could have been caused by getting the beak caught in wire, a feeder or waterer, or even in a fight. Once the beak has a chance to grow out it will probably look normal again.
Do you think that's why it's beak isn't perfectly aligned too?

Are they around any hens? I’ve had a hen do that to a chick before.
Originally I was thinking how in the world would he have gotten injured but now I remember that I let everyone run around in this temporary run I put up for my older ducks this summer (because they have two duck sisters with them in the brooder.) The fencing on that is like 1"x3" or something big and they could stick their heads out and I saw that one got pecked on the neck by a chicken that was walking around when they stuck their head out of the fencing. I bet he stuck his head out and one of the big chickens pecked him! That sucks...I feel so bad now for putting them in there. They're not there anymore though. They were only in there for two days when the weather was nice so everyone could run around.

Originally I was thinking how in the world would he have gotten injured but now I remember that I let everyone run around in this temporary run I put up for my older ducks this summer (because they have two duck sisters with them in the brooder.) The fencing on that is like 1"x3" or something big and they could stick their heads out and I saw that one got pecked on the neck by a chicken that was walking around when they stuck their head out of the fencing. I bet he stuck his head out and one of the big chickens pecked him! That sucks...I feel so bad now for putting them in there. They're not there anymore though. They were only in there for two days when the weather was nice so everyone could run around.
Don’t sweat it. I had a hen peck a chick and his beak looked worse than that. Like was already it healed up just fine. Can’t even tell.

I do, that's why it will likely be fine once it grows out.
Thank you! That would definitely be preferable rather than him having cross beak due to genetics or something because then I would have to worry about babies with it or have to lock him up.

Thank you! That would definitely be preferable rather than him having cross beak due to genetics or something because then I would have to worry about babies with it or have to lock him up.
OMG what happened???
1025180751b.jpg

1025180751c.jpg

Is it like a new healthy beak growing back?

Looks like the end piece below the crack came off. It may be tender, if he has difficulty eating (pecking may hurt) then make his feed into a mash with some water, use a dish that's a bit deeper, and raise feeders up to shoulder height, that will make it easier for him to scoop with his lower beak, will also help with hydration. Most birds like their feed made into mash. He may have more trouble pecking things from the ground. Raising waterers up also will help. It will harden up and be less tender with time. Still should grow back, but will take some time.

Back
Top Bottom