7 week old chicks integration/housing

Not really, though some of them have been peeking their heads in. They seem very curious.

I'll plan on putting them in manually in two weeks, after a whole lot of chasing i reckon.

I ended up moving everyone into a big coop rather than trying to do that sort of integration, but my Splits showed interest in moving into The Ladies' coop at about Point of Lay -- when the older birds accepted them as peers.

Since then I've done integration inside my large coop so I really can't advise you.

I ended up moving everyone into a big coop rather than trying to do that sort of integration, but my Splits showed interest in moving into The Ladies' coop at about Point of Lay -- when the older birds accepted them as peers.

Since then I've done integration inside my large coop so I really can't advise you.
Well that makes total sense. I'm afraid i wasn't well versed in chicken math before I built my coop and so it won't reasonably accommodate a crate inside it I'm afraid.

If i end up building a new coop...once lumber prices fall from the stratosphere...

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm waiting on a few rainy days to lock them in and low and behold... it quit raining for over 3 weeks now.

I have a rather large coop with an auto door. What I did was section a little under half of it off with 2x4 wire fencing from top to bottom. I made a bit of a frame to tack the fencing to. And yes it needs to be top to bottom. My older chickens were flying over into the new section to check it out.

I plan on putting all 6 in there and keeping them in the coop for 3 days. They'll get to see the other girls come in and lay. And how they roost. I made them a roost like they'll have once I open the whole thing up to them. They won't like it, but it worked for my existing flock to rehome them to the new coop. I assume they will do just fine. I also plan on putting some scratch on the floor under the wood chips so they have something to peck at. After day 3, I'll take it all down and hope they've rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom