7 Week Old Chicks Won't Go Into Coop

Nektro

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Draper, UT
I have 6 chicks that are 7 weeks old. They have been out in the coop for the last 3 weeks with a red lamp on for added warmth. Well it has finally warmed up to where I thought that they don't need the lamp. But this evening they would not go back into the coop. I had to push them into it. Now they are sitting huddled by the pop door sqawking. Should I turn the light back on for comfort they certainly don't need it for warmth. Any Ideas. TIA Erik

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

They will get used to it in no time just give them few days.
They are fine don't worry.

Omran

My girls did the same thing and i found out they were scared of the dark. I put up a little night light and they were fine after that.

To get them to go into the coop you have to show them the little step and put them in from the outside. My husband was showing ours where to go and I went inside and kept saying " treat treat" and they came in for their evening snack...the next night we had to help them in again and now they all go in at dusk.

On rainy days they seem to stay inside so I turn their heat lamp on and raised it 4ft up and they do lay under it and streach out...kinda keeps the dampness away.

Spoiled girls to say the least.
big_smile.png

You can get low wattage red light bulbs for a bit of a night light without burning those energy-eating heat lamps when they don't need the heat. WM has them I believe.

But Omran is correct, it may take a few days but they will settle down. Moon is about full right now so maybe that will help.

Same thing happened with mine. Give them a few days and they will adjust. If they are fully feathered, they really shouldn't need the heat lamp on. They just huddle. They also will get used to the dark. They are new to this since they have been under the lamp for most of their lives.
smile.png

I have a silkie afraid of the dark, at night soon as the lights go out she yells till she either passes out or I turn the light back on...I thought she would get tiered of it but she just hates the dark..Go Figure!!
frow.gif

I have some that are 12 weeks old, and up until last week, they would't go into the coop at night until I plugged in the light. Then they would run in. I'd give them a few minutes to get settled then turn out the light.
The coop at that time of night is darker inside than it is outside. One night, my husband plugged in the light, and they all ran in. After a few seconds, he unplugged it, and they all ran out! He plugged it back in- they ran in. He pulled the plug, they ran out.
Yes, we humans have to keep ourselves entertained somehow!
Last week, they finally figured out to go into the coop BEFORE it gets too scarydark in there.

I think chicks just get used to being under light 24/7 and it takes them a while to get used to dark. A "nightlight" will probably help.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom