7 week old Dampierre unable to support itself properly

RIRhubarb

Chirping
Mar 3, 2019
Hi everyone,

I noticed several days ago that one of my 7 week old Dampierres was acting a little odd, fluffed up, not moving around too much and some caking around the vent. I bathed the vent area and chopped a few feathers that were too caked, but whilst doing so noticed that the vent seemed to be "pulsating" constantly. When I checked the bird this morning it seemed very unsteady, struggling to walk and sometimes even to stand. It seems to be eating and drinking well (full crop this evening) and I have been monitoring the poop and it seems very normal. At bedtime it was unable to jump up to the roost with the others and is sleeping on the floor.

Hoping that someone can shed some light on what might be wrong, poor little mite looks awful.

Thanks

several days ago that one of my 7 week old Dampierres was acting a little odd, fluffed up, not moving around too much and some caking around the vent

When I checked the bird this morning it seemed very unsteady, struggling to walk and sometimes even to stand. It seems to be eating and drinking well (full crop this evening) and I have been monitoring the poop and it seems very normal. At bedtime it was unable to jump up to the roost
I'm sorry your chick is not well.

Can you post some photo of her and the poop?
I agree, I would start treatment for Coccidiosis overload. You can find Corid (Amprolium) in the cattle section of Tractor Supply.

Use the dosage circled in red.
upload_2019-6-16_23-17-17.png

Thank you for your reply. My poor little chick has taken a turn for the worst, now it is unable to stand at all and has to be supported otherwise it falls into a very awkward position and cannot move. Having done some more research I am now thinking that there is a very real possibility that it has Marek's disease...heartbreaking. This was one of 20 chicks that I got from Greenfire Farms, all were vaccinated. I already had 9 mature chickens, one of which went broody and has hatched a chick of her own, I am very concerned for the rest of the flock.

Thank you for your reply. My poor little chick has taken a turn for the worst, now it is unable to stand at all and has to be supported otherwise it falls into a very awkward position and cannot move. Having done some more research I am now thinking that there is a very real possibility that it has Marek's disease...heartbreaking. This was one of 20 chicks that I got from Greenfire Farms, all were vaccinated. I already had 9 mature chickens, one of which went broody and has hatched a chick of her own, I am very concerned for the rest of the flock.
I'm so sorry to hear she is not improving :hugs
At that age, you are right, it could be Marek's. The vaccine only helps in prevention of tumor formation, it won't stop infection from the virus.

If you happen to have video of her, that may be helpful or at least educational to all of us, we learn as we go sometimes.

Getting a fecal float to check for Coccidiosis overload is always a good idea. If you don't treat with Corid, then you can try vitamin therapy for your chick. Give poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin E and the B's. You can also use human B-Complex (1/4 tablet daily) and Vitamin E (400 IU Daily) to see if those help.

If you happen to lose her, sending the body for necropsy/testing will give you confirmation of what was going on with her. You can look up your lab in the link below or I will be happy to try to find it for you if you tell me what state you are in.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Here's a very good article about Marek's, well worth the read.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Thank you so much for your reply. Honestly, I was surprised that she (not sure if she is a she yet but let's just say) was still with us this morning. By lunch time I thought that she was for sure a gonner, the poor little thing is gasping for air. Then this evening I took her some scrambled egg as it is her favorite and was amazed at how enthusiastically she tried to eat it. The problem is she is not drinking on her own so I am trying to get a little on her beak with a dropper bottle one drop at a time...time consuming but I have to try to save her, no matter how futile it seems. One of my 7 week old 55 Flowery Hens is recovering from two crop surgeries and pneumonia within a week, such a little fighter, the vet was very pessimistic at her chances when she did the first surgery. The second surgery she thought there was very little chance she would make it through the anesthetic...but here she is! When the vet did a fecal test she found traces of coccidiosis so I have been treating the flock with Kocci Free. Can coccidiosis overload cause paralysis?

My hopes are not high for Poppet but I guess there is always a chance. I found and read the article that you are talking about early this morning, very informative. I'm hoping my diagnosis is completely wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

Coccidiosis overload can cause lameness/difficulty standing, if not treated, chickens can die or suffer severe damage to the intestines.
Did the vet recommend another treatment besides the Kocci Free? If there was an overload, I would treat with Corid (Amprolium). You can find that in the cattle section of Tractor Supply, it goes in the drinking water. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

upload_2019-6-18_21-44-38.png
upload_2019-6-18_21-44-47.png

Back
Top Bottom