7 week old Easter Egger -- help me determine sex?

HoneyTree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Northwest Arkansas

The brown one in front is the bird in question. I have five other chicks, same age, various breeds including one other EE, and they all have smaller, less pink combs and fluffier, more filled-out tails (much like the Australorp in the back). I don't notice much difference in the leg length/shape. I did read the other thread about coloring and EE's, but I can't tell if the black on this bird would be considered neck or shoulder? The black doesn't go all the way down the chest (yet). Also, this bird seems similarly shaped to the others, not more or less gangly.

Also, I would likely give a rooster to a friend of mine to butcher. At what age does that happen?

Last edited:
I am curious about this too.
really you can butcher them whenever you want, but you would get the most meat if you waited until it was full grown. So as soon as it gets to a decent size. EEs are not a big bodied "breed", so don't wait and expect as much as you would from a cornish cross

Waiting to butcher this breed till it is at least 9+ months is best. These are duel purpose birds and will yield more meat than a ten week old cornish cross if left to grow like they should be.

Back
Top Bottom