7 weeks olds run away then come right back

nihil

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Our current flock of 6 chickens is 7 weeks old and whenever I go into the run they all run under the coop as quick as they can but once I'm in the run they run right back up to me looking for their treats so I guess I have them sort of trained.

I'm hoping that as they get older they get more used to me and don't freak out quite as often.

Is that likely?

If you bring them treats, have them come to you to get them. Start off by dropping pieces at your feet and once they are comfortable with that, have them take it from your hands. The way to a chickens heart is thru their belly! Good Luck!

They sound a little flighty. Flighty birds will still become tame (when given treats, as TTracy says), but it helps to keep your movements slow and steady.
cheers
Erica

Two of them (the barred rocks) will take dried mealworms out of my hand. The rest will peck and eat them if I drop them at my feet.

I'll keep dong that and hand feeding them treats and hopefully they'll get tamer.

thanks for the encouraging words.

If your want them REALLY tame (pick-up-and-hold tame) you will have to insist on picking them up when they are in a confined area. . I have found this is the age where my birds either become just food tame, or lap tame, depending on the time an attention i give them, and also depending on the personality of the individuals.

I was holding our RIR a couple of days ago just trying to get them used to being held (and doing a quick health check) when one of the Welsummers (who I think might be the alpha now that the rooster is gone) walked right up to me and tried to bite/peck one of my fingers. Needless to say I gave her a quick push with my shoe. I think she'll be the next to be hand held.

Back
Top Bottom