7 yo Barred Rock hen lethargic

Fthersnfur4fun

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Our oldest hen, Rose, has been lethargic for about 3 days or so. I noticed yesterday she was not eating their pellets and she's not eating in the yard either. Her comb is still red but not as bright as it was and it is lolling to one side. Her poop is like water but I see no sign of worms. Yesterday I picked her up and took her out with the rest of the flock after letting them out in the morning. She just stood there for a good ten minutes. Eventually she made her way up to the covered porch and just laid down there for a good, long while. This morning my husband let them out, but again she stayed in the coop. When I went out to clean the poop board she was laying on the floor by the feeders, looking around. I took some leftover scrambled eggs and fed them to her by hand. She snarfed them down. We put probiotics in the water yesterday which she has at least been drinking. The rest of the flock seems to be fine. I thought maybe it was just her time but I can't help but feel there is something else going on. If she moves around much her breathing seems labored. Does anyone have any ideas what else we can try? She is all we have left of our first flock and is very special to us.

How does her comb feel: hard, watery, empty, etc?
Is there any discharge coming from her beak or nostrils?
How does her abdomen feel? When was the last time she has laid?
Any signs of parasites (mites or lice)?

She doesn’t have any discharge from her beak or nostrils. She hasn’t laid regularly for years and only started laying again probably 4 months ago but when we rehomed 4 girls about 5 or 6 weeks ago she quit again. I looked for parasites but don’t see anything. My husband checked on her earlier and said her comb is brighter red now. Maybe she ate something that didn’t settle well? Is that possible for chickens? I haven’t felt her abdomen or comb yet. I’ll have to get back with you on those.

Her comb feels dry and plump. I feel her breast bone but her abdomen feels smooth.

Oh sorry I wrote "comb" not "crop" haha
[/QUOTE

Her crop doesn’t feel very big at all. She’ll eat a little scrambled egg but won’t touch their pellets. I don’t know if she’s drank all day since I’m at work. My husband said he hadn’t seen her drink but he’s not in with her all the time. We just came in from giving her some water with probiotics in it with an eye dropper. Her comb remains red. She seems to have balance issues too.

Back
Top Bottom