...?

PoultryGirly

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Hi. I have 4 chickens that have been showing signs of a cold. They sneeze a little,but not much, and they wheeze when they breathe. My friend's chickens and ducks had the same thing a few weeks ago and she treated it. She said it was an upper respiratory infection, and I believe it is too. My other birds, ducks and more chickens, aren't really showing symptoms except for sneezing, but that doesn't happen very much. What is the medicine I can get to treat this? And also the chickens get something like the hiccups and I don't know what it is. Thanks!

Chickens dont get colds, they get a specific disease unless the symptoms are caused environmentally. The respiratory diseases that they get...symptoms can be mild, or can be deadly.
Here's a link regarding respiratory diseases, read up on the following diseases if you would: Infectious Bronchitis (IB,) Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
You can treat your birds with tylan 50 injectable, orally or by injection.
Dosage orally is 1/2cc once a day for 5 days.
Injecting dosage is 1/2cc into the breast muscle just under the skin, once a day for 3 days. Alternate breast the next day, inject into a different spot into the breast.

Last edited:
Hey! Thanks for the reply. What do you think they could possibly have in your opinion. The one I'm leaning towards is Infectious Coryza because of the rattles in the chest. Thanks again for replying and I'd happily like your opinion!

...or it could be infectious bronchitis but I don't know! There are too many to choose from!

Last edited:
The ONLY symptoms they have is the rattles and once in a while they sneeze. All of the illnesses have things like runny noses and eyes and coughing, and mine don't have that. They have been locked in their coop since hurricane sandy because one of the runs broke and I have no. More shelter for them.

The ONLY symptoms they have is the rattles and once in a while they sneeze. All of the illnesses have things like runny noses and eyes and coughing, and mine don't have that. They have been locked in their coop since hurricane sandy because one of the runs broke and I have no. More shelter for them.
Have you considered that it could be a fungal infection? Does every single bird show symptoms?

Usually with a respiratory disease they have runny nose on top of the rales in the chest and sneezing. Sometimes they have bubbly eyes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-poultry-often-mistaken-for-crd-mycoplasmosis

Thanks aoxa! I think that maybe what they have. What should I give them to help treat it?

Back
Top Bottom