7mnth old bantam little girl

tepukechicken

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
New Zealand
Hi all. Hope someone has some advice, we have 4 bantam chickens, a boy called Jack and his 3 wives, Jill his first wife has been sitting on her nest on eggs for 2 days now. I have a feeling that Jack hasn't done the deed yet (but don't know for sure) I'm picking up some fertile eggs for her tomorrow as I'm 99% sure she's broody but what if she's not and I've wasted my $$ on the definitely fertile eggs. I don't have an incubator or any other broody hens. It's winter here in New Zealand and bloody cold. My big girls as I call them are older than Jill but havnt laid an egg yet... Assuming it's just too cold... Help!! Hope I have made sense
1f601.png

What breed of bantams?

So I'm assuming that Jill is the 7 month old in the title?

Are you getting eggs from any of them? If so, they're likely fertile. Open one to see. Look for a blastodisc vs. blastoderm (white dot vs. halo)

The cold won't be a problem if she's really determined to set.

Yip she is sorry! Not sure on breed, she's white and tiny and hairy feet. Not at all helpful most likely.
Intend to check the eggs she is sitting on tomorrow. She's been laying only about a month... Waited patiently until we got back from holiday and there were 7 eggs! So proud.

Yip that's her, sorry! Not sure on breed, she's white and tiny with hairy feet.
She only started laying a month ago... Felt like we were waiting forever so am surprised she's already sitting.

Back
Top Bottom