7mo pullets attacked, many injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeaKettleK, May 14, 2010.

1. TeaKettleK

TeaKettleK Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Pretty sure the dogs across the street came over to play. [​IMG] I've got 1 dead, 4 pretty badly injured-- but only skin deep. Missing lots of feathers, there are feathers everywhere!! This happened this morning and so far they've all returned home and we've treated with Blu-Kote, and I added the electrolyte/vitamin mix to their water. How big a skin break is too big? One of the BOs looks like she's missing the back half of her, but it is just a skin laceration and LOTS of missing feathers...

I don't have the ability to isolate all the injured, do I cull? or just leave them together and hope they are to worn out to peck each other to death? How long will it take feathers to grow back?

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very sorry to hear of this.

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm so sorry for your loss and for the ones injured. [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know much about treating for injuries like that but that you should keep them clean so they don't get infected. Maybe put some antibiotic on? Not sure what kind, someone on here should know!!!

Good luck and I would be going to the owner of that dog if I were you. For me at least, no one lets their dog attack our chickens without getting a word from me. [​IMG]

4. TeaKettleK

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Baby posted for me before I was ready. [​IMG] I finished the first post... [​IMG]

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Hi,

Three or 4 years ago I had a racoon attack three of my chickens from outside their pen. He tore one up pretty bad. I never thought it would heal. The poor thing's back was completely raw. I cleaned it with soap and water and applied antibiotic cream, NOT ointment, to the wound twice a day. It took a couple of weeks for the wound to completely close. A few weeks after that feathers actually started to grow back and the wound healed nicely. Not all the feathers grew back but most of them did. The chicken happened to be a Rooster and he lived until last Fall when our neighbors's dog did him in as he was free ranging in our pasture.

It is important to remember to use cream on birds. Ointment coats their feathers and they can not keep themselves warm when needed. Think "oil slick"...use creams.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  6. TeaKettleK

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks, Jojo. Is the Blu-Kote spray not enough? Was it just OTC human antibiotic cream?

7. TeaKettleK

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Bumping to say they look pretty much the same this morning. And aside from acting scared (understandably so!!) they all act pretty much fine? One came out and pecked with everyone this morning and then went back in and up on a roost, but she's not one of the obviously injured... They don't seem to be attacking or picking on anyone really... Too good to be true? Temporary? Do I need to go buy stuff to set up a little hospital in the garage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by